A good dealer better than before

Looking to buy a new square, saw, plane, or ?? Have a question about which sharpening stone to buy? This is the place.
crannygoat
Raw Log Import

A good dealer better than before

Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:08 am

Hi Folks, my name is Michael Cran, but I'll go by Crannygoat.
Thought I would give a plug to my favorite dealer of Japanese hand tools, Suzuki-san of http://suzukitool.com. She worked at Hida tool in Berkeley for many years and now runs her own small business out of her home. I have purchased two planes from her, and a few sharpening stones (much more while she was at Hida). I appreciate her because she genuinely cares about good craftsmanship and seeks to encourage it in an appropriate fashion. She seems to have an ability to match tool to user, as mystical as that sounds. The most expensive or highest quality tool is not necessarily the best one for an average user like myself, and may in fact be wasted. That said, I gave her my specs including budget for the tools I needed and what I got blew me away. Way better than anything I have used in the past. Easy to sharpen, holds the edges, dead stable dai. (Is that plural?) She knows the folks who make the tools she sells. Long story short, I think she brings something of the shokunin's spirit to her trade.
I know, trust, and buy tools from her. Other than that, no affiliation.

I have a couple of little tables to build coming up soon, I look forward to sharing some of that with all of you. Please know that I appreciate feedback.

Chris Hall, thanks for hosting this forum, and the Carpentry Way. Still bearing the torch of smart carpentry, and perhaps lighting a few more. In my reckoning, the world is a better place for it. Everyone else who contributes here, thanks to you as well. This forum has been a benefit to my own work, muddling through my aspirations for skill and dealing with the reality.

Best,
Crannygoat
Paul Atzenweiler
Deshi

Re: A good dealer better than before

Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:25 pm

I like that site. I have so many planes, saws, and chisels from ebay it's hard to justify new tools. I have made a tentative list however and visit this site and others just to see how feasible new purchases are. Out of my 20 +/- planes, I have less than 5 that I would say are very good quality - I am more dependent upon my sharpening and tuning (shaky at best)to make most of them good users. Of the tools you bought, what was the time from order to delivery? Looking forward to the table builds.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:01 pm

I totally support her and have recommended her to many people. She was great to deal with when she worked at Hida Tool, and carries that fine service forward into her new venture. I don't deal with Hida anymore, not since they changed owners, however I would be happy to work with Ms. Suzuki anytime.

Crannygoat: appreciate your first post. Don't be shy with further communication!
dmccurtis
Sweeper of Floors, Maker of Tea

Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:30 am

I've been corresponding with Suzuki-san regarding some tools, and she has been nothing but helpful and informative. For various reasons, I haven't purchased anything from her yet, but none of them have anything to do with her service. She will be the first to receive my patronage whenever I need a new tool in the future.
Mathieu
Triple 2
Triple 2

Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:58 am

Does she sell tools too? Wow I have always been a fan of the rock band, hence the t-shirt. One day I hope to get an autograph.
img_3867-1-30-08-pm.jpg
img_3867-1-30-08-pm.jpg (311.27 KiB) Viewed 2840 times

Return to “Tools: General”