Masakari and other hewing tools

Looking to buy a new square, saw, plane, or ?? Have a question about which sharpening stone to buy? This is the place.
everythingsings
Lurker

Masakari and other hewing tools

Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:59 pm

Hello all,

This forum is truly a wellspring of helpful information, and I greatly appreciate the opportunity to join a community of minded, knowledgeable folks, unfettered by the confines of spatial relations!

I wanted to open up a discussion of a set of tools that don't seem to garner much attention these days, at least here in the west: hewing tools, and specifically the Masakari (or Japanese Broad Axe.) Most of my experience is with Western hewing tools (big heavy broad-axes,) having grown up as a Timber Framer in New England, and since converting almost entirely to Japanese tools, this is the only realm that I feel lacking in access too.

Most of the information and tools that make it to accessible places here in California are general axes (ono) and adzes (chona). Mostly I see small hatchets and carpenters axes and run of the mill chona's (mostly just for people to say "what the hell is that" towards.) From the research I've done, there is still a lively culture and practice based around these tools in Japan, but it's just not yet as popular over here as the chisels and saws have become.

Does anyone have any general information on these tools? i.e. where in japan they are still made, do any of them make it over here?

or any specific information? i.e. regional differences in tool style, functional differences in tool style, any connections to blacksmiths/tool dealers that we could buy from?

attached are photos from the Takenaka Museum, of different styles of Masakari, and I'm assuming the different styles and names are largely regional??

I've tried to do my fair share of research on this subject (and have Suzuki-san trying to track down a blacksmith for me,) but would really like to find out if there is anyone here that knows any more.

Cheers, and look forward to further discourse with you all,
Lucas
Attachments
6a0115712728bd970b0134809429b6970c.jpg
6a0115712728bd970b0134809429b6970c.jpg (72.06 KiB) Viewed 5796 times
f135c4bad49875b143148d91ae207144.jpg
f135c4bad49875b143148d91ae207144.jpg (35.53 KiB) Viewed 5796 times
durbien
Sweeper of Floors, Maker of Tea

Re: Masakari and other hewing tools

Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:15 am

Chris Hall
Site Admin

Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:28 am

In case anyone is wondering, the guy in the back is holding up a sign with the character '' on it, read masakari.

Is that photo from a recent Kezurō-kai gathering? Who's the gaijin in the back left corner?

I have one masakari though since I moved off of a rural property and live in a more urban context I've had no occasion to use it. I would like to get more time in on the chōna. Not likely to be a tool I work bubinga with however...
durbien

Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:08 am

From this blog. Lot's of neat stuff there, but hard to know what's going on relying on Google Translate. I don't know how I found it - maybe from this forum?
durbien

Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:28 am

Lucas, here are the vids I PM'ed you about; not sure if you'd already found them:

First Part
Second Part

These are the ones I found back when I was considering hewing a huge pine growing in my Mom's back yard; after seeing the amount of work and skill required that dream died quickly. :( Still, much to be admired here - but probably better understood if you know Japanese!

Return to “Tools: General”