Whitch tools are necessary for starting out woodworking?

Looking to buy a new square, saw, plane, or ?? Have a question about which sharpening stone to buy? This is the place.
J.T.
Raw Log Import

Whitch tools are necessary for starting out woodworking?

Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:24 pm

Hello everyone;
I am just starting woodworking. I have very little as in woodworking tools. I am wandering what tools one should get starting out? Marking,measuring cutting,or holding? There are so many what is absolutely a must have to do a good job with the minimal of tools? What does each of you recamend? It is so hard because I want all the tools now,but can't afford it all so must pace my self. But where to begin??? Feedback is much welcome!! I know quality is key so I don't want two of the same thing!! :lol: This forem has been a godsend for me!! Thank you all especially Chris!!!
J.T.
Chris Pyle
Deshi

Re: Whitch tools are necessary for starting out woodworking?

Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:11 pm

Looking back, I'd pick a project and tool up for it specifically. Then as you choose another project, purchase any extra tools needed. I'll let other, more experienced posters chime in but maybe identify what you'd like to do first and everyone could throw some ideas out.
Brian
Deshi

Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:06 pm

Depends, have you decided to work with hand tools, or machine tools and hand tools?

The stuff I work with all the time are;

Jointer plane, finish plane, joinery saws, big rip cut saw, paring chisels, bench chisels, mortise chisels, kibiki, double square, carpentry square, winding sticks, a large straight edge and sharpening stones.
J.T.
Raw Log Import

Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:48 pm

I plan on using hand tools to start then work in machines when I can afford them. I guess I would like to know what layout tools are needed like a trammel or large ruler or both. Sguares, marking devices, just trying to find out what is necessary and what can be got lator for convenience.
J.T.
Brian
Deshi

Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:16 pm

Depends on what your building to some degree, I use a carpentry square, straight edges, double square, kibiki, marking knife, marking pen or pencil, angle gauge, angle finder, steel rules, story stick and panel gauge to start.
durbien
Sweeper of Floors, Maker of Tea

Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:14 am

Also, it would help to specify whether you're interested only in Japanese tools, only Western tools, or a mixture of both. I suppose like many here (?) I started out working with Western tools, and then started experimenting with Japanese. Now I tend to gravitate towards trying the "Japanese" way (filtered through Western eyes). I do this just because they interest me more than learning French or English or Roman or whatever, not because I think one way or the other is "better". However the question is pertinent because often Japanese tools are much more expensive and/or hard to find than the equivalent Western tools.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:33 am

I think Brian's point, about the tool set depending upon what you are building, and Chris's point about picking a project and tooling up for it specifically are good places to start.

If you were interested in chip-carving small elves, say, then you could get by with a single carving knife and something with which to sharpen it. If you wanted to turn bowls you would need a lathe and some gouges, etc..

That said, given that you joined this forum I would presume you have a certain interest in joinery, furniture making and/or timber carpentry, so I would tend to assume you are looking for tools to tackle furniture or architectural timber projects.

I would suggest you look at making a couple of sawhorses to start. They will enable you to get your feet wet with joinery, and will be useful in your workshop for a variety of tasks no matter what.

To do that sort of work, you need to look at the following areas, tool-wise and in no particular order:

1) Be able to clean up and make a piece of wood straight, square, and free from wind

I would suggest obtaining a powered jointer, maybe a jointer/planer combo if you can find one. Or, you can look at doing it by hand, which entails scrub plane, jointing plane, finish plane, winding sticks, straightedge, ink line, try square or combo square, measuring tape, ruler and/or caliper. There is indeed technique to using a jointer, and in tuning a jointer, however it is less of a learning curve than doing the work by hand.

2) Be able to dimension wood in length, width, and height

Here you are looking at a powered planer, bandsaw and/or tablesaw, and a dust collection system to go with them, along with eye and ear protection. A portable power planer can handle a surprising amount of work and can be had used for under $500. Or you could use a portable circular saw and extension cord, along with a pair of sawhorses. Or, to do it by hand, scrub plane, medium plane and finish plane, rip and cross cut saw(s), along with a pair of sawhorses. Then you will need further layout tools to mark waste, such as ink line, marking gauge, marking knife.

When I first moved to the US in 2006, I had hand tools, some portable power tools, a saw horse and a router table. Working on that sawhorse in the kitchen, i made the shrine lantern, French Mazerolle sawhorse, and Japanese screen. At times I would take material I had chopped up with my circular saw down to a local millwork shop and have them joint and plane the material to the sizes I needed. I also did a lot of stock prep by hand. I might suggest you look at a similar strategy.

3) Be able to sharpen your cutting tools

Here you will need a flat reference surface, be it a granite plate, float glass plate or cast iron plate. People sharpen with oilstones, waterstones, diamonds, and sandpaper. People will argue for one approach over another. I have tried them all to one extent or another and have drawn my own conclusions. If it were me, I would suggest you obtain a coarse diamond plate to dress the stones, and waterstones in the following grits: 800~1000, 3000~5000, and 8,000~10,000. You will need a source of clean running water near to your work area.

4) Be able to draw your projects.

Could be as simple as pen, paper, compass, and rule. A drafting table or at least a large flat drawing surface. Or draw using CAD. Sketchup is a relatively easy approach in that regard, and free. You could start learning it today. You could start planning your project and drawing it today. It doesn't cost much money to get started in that regard.

5) Be able to layout joinery

Combo square, try square, framing square, double square, straightedge, marking knife, ink line, string line, pencil or ink brush, marking gauge, rules....

6) Be able to cut joinery and check it for accuracy

Here you need to be able to mortise, which can be done entirely by chisel and hammer, or by brace, bit and chisel, or by electric drill and bit and chisel, drill press, bit and chisel, or by router and chisel, or router alone. Next level up would be a mortising machine, like a slot mortiser, hollow chisel mortiser, chain mortiser, oscillating chisel mortiser....

You will need to form tenons of various types. This can be done by handsaw alone, hand-sawn and then cleaned up by chisel and/or router plane. It can be done with a circular saw and cross-cut guide. It can be done with the aid of a router or entirely with a router. It can be done with the aid of a router table. Eye and ear protection of course.

With the joinery cut, it then is checked, using various means, such as straightedge, try square, depth gauge, caliper, go/no go gauges you make yourself, etc..

6) Be able to assemble and lock together structures.

You will need clamps and/or ratchet straps, a flat work surface. A hammer to drive pegs in, a flush cut saw to trim the pegs is helpful.

It goes without saying in the above that you need a suitable workspace. Cannot suggest the kitchen!

------

There can be a lot of tools, and it sure can look daunting. Basically, you need to start somewhere, and it doesn't mean you need to have a giant, fully-equipped shop in order to build stuff.

While hand tools are often thought of as a cheaper route, in reality good hand tools are not inexpensive, and can rack up the dollars surprisingly quickly.

A bare-bones start might look like this:

- a 210~250mm ryoba
- a set of 4~6 bench chisels
- a combo square (Pec tool, Starret or Mitutoyo recommended)
- a block plane
- a finish plane
- sharpening media as described above
- ink line
- bevel gauge
- caliper
- circular saw
- cordless drill and set of brad point bits
- a medium size router and some router bits

Perhaps sign up for a woodworking class at a community college, where you can then access a table saw, planer and jointer, or make friends with someone who has these tools.
John Whitley
Deshi

Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:10 pm

Perhaps sign up for a woodworking class at a community college, where you can then access a table saw, planer and jointer, or make friends with someone who has these tools.
Looking for classes is a good suggestion, very helpful for hand tool work, and nearly essential for machine tool work IMO. My experience getting started with machine tools was that there's a virtuous cycle between working safely and working efficiently that's best captured in a class with a good instructor.

I'll also suggest that you look to see if there's a woodworking co-op in your area, where you can get membership in a shared shop. This might be a separate business, or might be a shop associated with a college or similar as Chris mentions. This can give you access to the key machine tools for a fraction of what you'd pay for one tool, as well as an environment where you can learn from the other shop members. Having more experienced folks around to ask questions of when you're having trouble is invaluable.

Motion seconded on SketchUp. It's the de-facto standard for CAD in the woodworking world, and you can't beat free. At minimum, you'll probably find projects online you want to work on, or study for inspiration, that are presented as SketchUp models.
J.T.
Raw Log Import

Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:13 pm

WOW!!! Thanx guys. Now I have a great place to look and cross off the list when I have found these items!! Sketchup sounds very good to me too! and accurate marking and measuring things.

For free is the keeper. I also have a votech right across the valley and school will be starting up soon. I have a lot that is needed just need a couple big money items like calipers not to mention saws planes and other accurate marking and measuring tools! Had some technical difficulties typing(not to good at this yet :oops: } Thanx again guys can't wait to start!!
J.T.
Paul Atzenweiler
Deshi

Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:09 am

I like Chris's list. Sharpening is most crucial because dull tools will only frustrate and discourage while sharp tools are a delight and the ability to REALLY SHARPEN gives you a lot of confidence. I suggest starting with a 2 sided diamond stone which is very "user friendly" and get different stones as your ability and interest expand. I would start simple - get tools that will let you produce an accurate right angle; a good square you can trust( mitutoyo, srarrett, incra) which may cost a few bucks. Dont spend a fortune on a marking knife! until your interest/ability progress - a sharp pencil or utility knife will more than suffice. I like the replacable blade Japanese saws to start with because they produce good results with little practice (and great results with practice practice practice) then add to your colle tion as you progress. Then a good low angle block plane ( ebay is your friend with miller falls, veritas, lie nielson, marples readily available).
After getting a nice set of basic tools that are sharp DON'T try and build a master piece! Biuld a simple tool box, saw horse, or step stool and use wood like pine or poplar. Unless you're really good at sharpening, cedar (while very soft) will only frustrate. Same goes for harder woods -which you will actually prefer as you progress.
You dont need to spend a fortune to get a good start! Youtube and forums like this can be very helpful.

Return to “Tools: General”