Gearing up for Course #1 in October

Looking to buy a new square, saw, plane, or ?? Have a question about which sharpening stone to buy? This is the place.
John Whitley
Deshi

Gearing up for Course #1 in October

Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:32 pm

Hi all,

I'm going to "think aloud" and get some feedback here as I choose planes and chisels for Chris' first series of Japanese Carpentry Classes this October. Due to schedule constraints, I'm only doing Course 1 this time, the Tools 101 section.

My thoughts going in are to acquire a two planes, a smaller "block plane" size and a larger finishing plane. It's easy to stare at different blade options until one's eyes go crossed, so I've settled on throwing some darts as starting points and hoping for feedback here. First throws:

Planes

"Muga" Hina-kanna, 42mm Standard bedding angle (38.6°)

"Miki" O-kanna. HAP40 HSS 'Uradashifuyoh' blade, 70mm 42°, aimed at work with moderate hardwoods.

Comments? Any thoughts in particular on the uradashifuyoh(*) style blade?

Chisels

A set of four Hira-maru oire-nomi, in 9mm, 15mm, 24mm, 36mm. Maybe add a fifth?

The hira-maru neck design seems like a useful trade-off versus the other designs?

(*) Explained mid-way down on this page.
durbien
Sweeper of Floors, Maker of Tea

Re: Gearing up for Course #1 in October

Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:41 pm

No real comment on your choices, just make sure you speak to Stu soon about availability and shipping delays. If the tools are rare, you might not get them in time for the class. He outfitted me for my class in Port Townsend, but it was a bit hairy.
Brian
Deshi

Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:08 pm

I think So Yamashita has some Kikuhiromaru block planes on his site. That is more likely to arrive on time.

High doubts that the Ouchis would arrive on time, again I'd recommend Japan-Tool's online cart. So's father runs the cart and ships quickly.

I have Ouchis and Kikuhiromaru chisels and I think the kiku's are slightly better. Barring any customs issues the orders I've placed have arrived in 3-5 business days.

Iida is also very good/quick if he has stock.

And I've worked with Teshiba on Chris' recommendation as well, I've been very happy with the service he provides. I ordered a hiroki gennou and if arrived in about 5 days. His site indicates stock.

I regret that I will miss this round of classes, unfortunately my work-load is at it's worst in October.
Chris Pyle
Deshi

Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:09 am

John,

Nothing to add to the advice (So has expedient shipping, Stu has low prices) but I'll see you in the course. I'll also be in attendance with some tools that require guidance. Good luck on getting everything assembled.
John Whitley
Deshi

Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:07 pm

Thanks much to everyone who provided input here.

I've (finally) ordered from a few different vendors based on the feedback here, the info in the tool list Chris sent out, and a judicious touch of dart throwing. It's much later than I wanted to get this done, so I've somewhat tried to steer things to vendors who may be able to get things in time.

See y'all in October!
Matt J
Hopper I
Hopper I

Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:42 pm

John, I'm looking forward to meeting you in October, and Chris Pyle, it will be great to see you again!

Who else is coming?
John Whitley
Deshi

Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:29 am

Hi Matt,

Likewise, to be sure!

I'm also coming to grips with the realities of a suitcase full of Japanese hand tools and related paraphernalia. That's mostly pretty easy, but I've got some question marks to resolve around a travel-ready sharpening setup.

FWIW, Suzuki Tool has been a delight to deal with. I'm feeling much better about being equipped both well and on-time for the workshop.
Matt J
Hopper I
Hopper I

Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:49 pm

If I can offer one tip on the suitcase front (I assume you're flying from Seattle), you'll find that TSA pays extra special attention to synthetic sharpening stones, so it's worth making them easy to access without unloading the entire contents of your suitcase.

I'm not sure about natural stones. They don't seem to care about blades too much, unless they're in your carry-on...
Matt J
Hopper I
Hopper I

Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:11 pm

Oh, and if anyone doesn't have a diamond plate, I'm going to bring a granite plate, some extra pieces of float glass, and sandpaper. So there should be no shortage of flat things for making other things flat in the class. I live nearby so I'm traveling heavy.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:21 pm

Matt J wrote:Oh, and if anyone doesn't have a diamond plate, I'm going to bring a granite plate, some extra pieces of float glass, and sandpaper. So there should be no shortage of flat things for making other things flat in the class. I live nearby so I'm traveling heavy.

That's good to know. I already have a 12"x18" granite reference plate, and was thinking of getting a second one for the course, however now that you're coming to the course all loaded for bear, we should have enough flat references on hand.

Return to “Tools: General”