Water stone sharpening stations?

Looking to buy a new square, saw, plane, or ?? Have a question about which sharpening stone to buy? This is the place.
dmccurtis
Sweeper of Floors, Maker of Tea

Re: Water stone sharpening stations?

Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:42 am

You may have already (I can't quite tell from the photos), but I'd recommend rounding over the edges of your stone.
djwong
Deshi

Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:39 pm

I ran a diamond plate over the edges a few times, to "break" the edges. On my more aggressive stones, the edges have a pronounced bevel.
dmccurtis

Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:36 pm

Radiusing, rather than just chamfering, is important. Chamfering the edges really only moves the edges inwards, which can make it difficult to flatten the stone thoroughly, as the flattener can ride on the high edges. Rounded edges also prevent chipping or gouging, of both the stone and tool, when the tool travels over it. Try it out next time you flatten your stones, you might be surprised how much easier it is to flatten a stone with well rounded edges.
Brian
Deshi

Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:25 pm

Have any of you guys gone fully traditional with the cedar or cypress (?) tub?

Knife sharpeners seem to like to sharpen uphill so the ramp configuration probably works nicely for them. I presume this setup to be slightly different for tool users.
dmccurtis

Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:47 pm

Downhill, not uphill. It helps with water management, as well as angle consistency.

I've always wanted one of those tubs, but never wanted to pay for one. I used to use a Cambro with a bridge, which I suppose is the low-rent version of that.
djwong
Deshi

Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:44 pm

I also have a very slight downhill angle for my sharpening stone support. As stated, helps direct water away from you. I sharpen with a board over a 1/4 size baking pan, and a bucket. The bucket is used to store and soak stones as required, to wash the stones, and to wash the items I am sharpening as I go. I don't worry too much about cross contamination. I have a separate spray bottle to wet stones and to rinse off blades if I am being really careful.

djwong
Deshi

Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:35 am

Brian wrote:Have any of you guys gone fully traditional with the cedar or cypress (?) tub?
Brian,

I remembered a picture of a sharpening station I took at the Takenaka Carpentry Museum. It shows a wooden box, with what looks to be similar mortise construction as in Chris Hall's tool box project.

The sharpening station was part of an exhibit recreating the workshop for (I think) Chiyozuru Korehide. I have to dig through my travel papers to verify. Anyway, you can see a little more of the box construction in this picture.

Brian
Deshi

Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:44 am

Thanks gents. I've always sharpened flat since I'm working on a granite plate with just rubber pads between it and the stones. I dont have much run-off since I use a spray bottle, but if the downhill position helps maintain the angle of blade as you grind than I will make something to accommodate that.

Thanks for the photos David, the mortised box looks pretty straightforward.

I can see this turning in an obsession within an obsession :)
durbien

Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:58 pm

How steep an angle? Or does it vary to suit the user?
Chris Pyle
Deshi

Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:18 pm

Is anyone interested in doing a group design/build of a waterstone pond/sharpening station? I really need to devise a better system and before a cut and screw some scraps together, I thought there may be some interest in this.

Anyone?

Return to “Tools: General”