Water stone sharpening stations?

Looking to buy a new square, saw, plane, or ?? Have a question about which sharpening stone to buy? This is the place.
Brian
Deshi

Re: Water stone sharpening stations?

Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:45 pm

Jon, I was wondering the same thing, and thinking it must be fit into a housing to have the connection watertight.
Paul Atzenweiler
Deshi

Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:30 pm

I have been thinking making a sharpening pond for some time now so I was happy to see this topic brought up here. I have also been thinking of a way to make a wedged box joint. I knew I could not use the same joinery used in the wedged miter that Chris did. I decided to use some time between jobs to explore this. I chose to use a through mortise and tenon, leaving both sides of the joint long to house the wedge and enough wood to support the forces exerted by the wedges. I kept the wedges in place by under cutting the dados for the wedges at 5 degrees. I could have made the angle greater and used a dovetail bit to cut the joint which would have been faster than using an angled chopping block. I had originally planned to use a single double tapered wedge per corner but knew that wouldn't work because when one side "bottomed out" the other side would be ineffective. I used a two wedge system for each corner so I could tighten the joint in both directions. The project was successful with some short comings (failures is too strong a word) and I would change a coupe of things on future versions. I incorporated a mitered aspect to this joint on the inside of the joint. My thought process was the wedges would force the mitered area together. It worked, but not as well as I had hoped. Please feel free to add comments, suggestions, and critiques.
Attachments
hopper 15.jpg
I used pine, 1/2" rift sawn on the left and 3/4" quarter sawn on the right.
hopper 15.jpg (102.32 KiB) Viewed 15024 times
hopper 14.jpg
Tenons marked.
hopper 14.jpg (81.29 KiB) Viewed 15024 times
hopper 13.jpg
Mortises marked.
hopper 13.jpg (124.72 KiB) Viewed 15024 times
hopper 12.jpg
Using a chop block to true the tenons.
hopper 12.jpg (86.2 KiB) Viewed 15024 times
hopper 11.jpg
Chopping the mortises.
hopper 11.jpg (83.03 KiB) Viewed 15024 times
Paul Atzenweiler
Deshi

Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:39 pm

I would use the mortise and tenon on future versions, but I would not use the miter instead I would use a shallow tight dado to house the bearing surface of the tenons.
Attachments
hopper 10.jpg
Using 45 degree block to cut mitered portion on both sides of joint.
hopper 10.jpg (99.64 KiB) Viewed 15024 times
hopper 8.jpg
Using a quick sled to cut consistent wedges.
hopper 8.jpg (115.54 KiB) Viewed 15024 times
hopper 7.jpg
The wedge side of the tenonned half.
hopper 7.jpg (94.64 KiB) Viewed 15024 times
hopper 6a.jpg
The wedge side of the mortised half.
hopper 6a.jpg (116.83 KiB) Viewed 15024 times
hopper 6.jpg
The mitered section of the mortised half .
hopper 6.jpg (87.75 KiB) Viewed 15024 times
Paul Atzenweiler
Deshi

Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:48 pm

The pond went together well and held water. I would not use pine for the wedges again, instead I would use a harder wood for the wedges because I experienced some crushing on the pine wedges. I don't want to cut off the wedges yet because I like the way they look. I may use this pond for something completely different and make a future version for sharpening.
Attachments
hopper 5.jpg
Parts ready to assemble, a total of 8 wedges.
hopper 5.jpg (84.34 KiB) Viewed 15023 times
hopper 3a.jpg
Wedges in place with out trimming.
hopper 3a.jpg (115.02 KiB) Viewed 15023 times
hopper 3.jpg
Wedges in place.
hopper 3.jpg (81.45 KiB) Viewed 15023 times
hopper 2.jpg
Completely assembled.
hopper 2.jpg (115.29 KiB) Viewed 15023 times
Hopper 1.jpg
Finished pond holds water without any leaks at all.
Hopper 1.jpg (103.72 KiB) Viewed 15023 times
Paul Atzenweiler
Deshi

Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:50 pm

I still need to trim/plane a lot to finish this. I also need to make movable platforms for the stones.
Attachments
hopper 4.jpg
assembled joint prior to placing wedges.
hopper 4.jpg (100.24 KiB) Viewed 15023 times
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:51 pm

Interesting idea, cleanly executed.
Brian
Deshi

Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:22 am

Awesome work Paul. I never see much about the bottoms on these, but I assume getting that dado right is pretty key to success. Do you allow room for the panel to expand, or butt it up tight and the side grain compresses enough to absorb the bottom panel's expansion?
Jack_Ervin.

Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:50 am

Brian wrote:Awesome work Paul. I never see much about the bottoms on these, but I assume getting that dado right is pretty key to success. Do you allow room for the panel to expand, or butt it up tight and the side grain compresses enough to absorb the bottom panel's expansion?
There is video of Ben Thresher making a round water trough and the bottom is fitted in a dado groove. The bottom is beveled (as in a raised panel) to fit tight but not all the way to the bottom of the groove. The video can be found by Googling Ben's Mill. The video is of a water powered mill shop in Vermont.

here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2KJbRHO76s
Jack
Paul Atzenweiler
Deshi

Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:47 am

Brian (and everyone else)
I fit the bottom pretty tight along length/width although I think it is more important to have a snug dado. The next one I make I won't fit the bottom as tight. Since the bottom is a rift sawn board there has been some distortion after soaking and it may be because it can't move. Does anyone have a suggestion for a non-glued edge joint that would be watertight.?
Since this project is in my brain I think I will go ahead with another one.
Chris Pyle
Deshi

Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:53 am

Great work Paul, will you be trimming the pegs flush with the rest of the pond/box? I would imagine them getting in the way of movement with chisels?

Is there a reason people don't want to use a marine epoxy to seal up the joints after assembly? Is that a sort of 2nd tier or 3rd tier-type work? Is that the Wal-Mart or Harbor Freight approach to water ponds?

Return to “Tools: General”