Where to begin?

Looking to buy a new square, saw, plane, or ?? Have a question about which sharpening stone to buy? This is the place.
djwong
Deshi

Re: Where to begin?

Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:54 pm

Since your dai is not yet acclimated, I would not be too concerned about the tightness. You should knock the blade and chipbreaker out of the dai, and give it a month or more. Be careful when releasing the blade, so the blades don't fall onto the floor. Use one hand to hold the dai with fingers holding the blade, with the other hand using the hammer.

As already pointed out, Chris has lots of great information on his blog. There are also some good YouTube videos on setting up a kanna. I also like the e-book by Desmond King titled "Getting the most from your kanna".
Ken
Raw Log Import

Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:26 pm

Thanks for pointing out Desmond King's book, I had overlooked it.

I have a few weeks before I even begin to think about tuning it up. The blade and chip breaker came separate from the dai, I have them gently resting in the mouth. I need to get a hammer and a few other things before I can start adjusting it.

I've been reading Toshio Odate's book, from what I've read it seems like this kanna is fairly well set up. It's certainly very sharp and the dai seems to be set for a smoothing plane.
Jack_Ervin.

Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:00 pm

Ken,
You may have already located this "Smile and Wave" on Chris' blog 'The Carpenter Way' but if you haven't here is a link ( http://thecarpentryway.blogspot.com/201 ... -wave.html )to the first installment of seven installments. When you read or scroll to the bottom of each installment there will be a link to the next installment. There is a wealth of information on kanna in "Smile and Wave". If you haven't poured thru all of the articles then it can become overwhelming finding how it is organized.
What djwong said about some good YouTube videos on setting up a kanna is good information and there are some good ones in fact but there are some by those who are just learning and posing about setting up a kanna for the first time. What Chris has posted here in the first link I copied you with has best information about the first step on both setting up a new plane and tuning a used plane. Desmond King's book "Getting the most from your kanna" parallels what Chris methods are. Toshio Odate's book does not fully address setting up the blade like Chris and Desmond do.
Jack
Ken
Raw Log Import

Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:40 pm

Thank you for all the help, it's greatly appreciated.

It looks like I've got some reading to do while I wait. :)

I've watched a few of the YouTube videos, they've been interesting but I can't bring myself to fully trust them. I've browsed through Chris' blog and have seen the quality of his work I'm much more inclined to follow his advice. Same with Desmond King.

I'll be reading and waiting, and I'm sure I'll have some questions when the time comes.
Jack_Ervin.

Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:30 pm

Ken wrote: I've watched a few of the YouTube videos, they've been interesting but I can't bring myself to fully trust them.
Keep searching the videos. There is some good information on there. As you read Chris' stuff you'll start to pick up on what is good. The good videos will give you look at what it looks like to set the blade/chip breaker. Maybe others here can link you to some of them.
djwong
Deshi

Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:58 pm

Here is a link to a series of videos that I found useful. The videos are in english.

More useful videos from tracestudy. These are in japanese.
Ken
Raw Log Import

Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:38 am

Here's some slightly better photos
Ken
Raw Log Import

Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:29 am

I've been reading a lot, and watching a lot of videos. All have been very helpful. The downside of this has been an inability to think of anything else but Kannas.

I probably should have waited a little longer but I couldn't resist.

Not the thinnest of shavings, but better than my Stanley no. 4.

I spent about three hours slowly tweeking it here and there. Removed a bit of twist out of the sole, flattened the sole, straightened and squared the right side, very slowly scraped the bed to seat the blade square to the mouth, very carefully scraped the sole to have a nice shallow wave profile.

I still need to work on the blade and chip breaker, but I'm waiting for my water stones before I tackle that.
Jack_Ervin.

Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:18 pm

Ken wrote: I probably should have waited a little longer but I couldn't resist.
Looking good. This one looked like a good candidate to do what you did to get going now. Now that you have gotten to this point you will probably want to go back and re-read some of this material and find little nuances that didn't make sense but now will or at least need more careful study. If/when you invest in a new kanna then I would suggest you study the first link I sent you of Chris setting up his new plane in-depth before beginning. The first step in setting up is proper preparation of the blade before starting fitting the blade to the dai.
Enjoy the journey.
Ken
Raw Log Import

Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:50 pm

djwong wrote:Here is a link to a series of videos that I found useful. The videos are in english.

More useful videos from tracestudy. These are in japanese.
Thank you for posting these, they where all useful. I really liked tracestudy's videos, I know I probably missed a lot of nuanced info, but still a great source of info.

Return to “Tools: General”