Tool and tool source suggestions

Looking to buy a new square, saw, plane, or ?? Have a question about which sharpening stone to buy? This is the place.
djwong
Deshi

Re: Tool and tool source suggestions

Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:15 am

Vips,
I have a similar issue with the chipbreaker on a new plane I purchased. The first thing I did was to gauge how badly out of alignment the chipbreaker pin is.

I removed the pin and lay the chipbreaker into its approximate position. I used a long machine screw as a punch, and pulled the pin out using a vise grip plier with a small piece of leather protecting the pin. Look at how the pin holes line up with the blade. In my case, the hole is a few thousands of an inch below the blade. The other hole lines up right on top of the blade.

The best solution is probably to plug and re-drill the hole. The easier solution is to file the underside of the pin so it is parallel with the chipbreaker. Remember that the chipbreaker is bowed, and ideally only the middle of the blade should contact the pin. In addition to filing the pin parallel, I would have to lower the chipbreaker by a fair amount to get the middle of the chipbreaker to fit under the pin. I have not decided which way to go yet. Sorry I could not be of more help.

Vips
Sweeper of Floors, Maker of Tea

Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:40 am

I have removed the pin and compared either side. It looks as though our situations are identical. I did lower the chip breaker on one side as one corner was taller than the other. This is perhaps why the dai maker may have placed the pin the way he did? You're the second person this week that has expressed the same problem with crooked pins. I don't know what to make of that...

The chip breaker is now down two thirds of the way, so now I'm also left wondering whether to file the one side of the pin, or to plug and re drill. I have perhaps several thou to file off to have the chip breaker touching the middle of the pressure pin.
djwong
Deshi

Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:43 pm

I am inclined to attempt filing the pin. If I screw it up, I can always replace it. Be cautious when lowering your chipbreaker. The chipbreaker "ears" are also your adjustment for maintaining the edge of the chipbreaker flat on the blade.
Vips

Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:51 pm

I have trimmed both mimi to lower the chip breaker whilst maintaining the fitment on the blade.

I'm currently preparing the blades from the other Kanna whilst I ponder what to do with this chip breaker arrangement.

Thanks for your input on this David.
Vips

Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:07 am

Whilst I setup the other planes and wonder what to do with the crooked pressure pin, I purchased a used Tsunesaburo 'Zousaku' kanna. The dai was loose fitting, so I thought I'd have an attempt at a remedy as seen by 'trace study' on youtube.

djwong
Deshi

Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:04 pm

Vips,

Great idea using a large shaving. I have done the same, with a piece of veneeer. I mixed up a small batch of rice glue as an experiment. It swelled the veneeer more than I thought, but there was plenty of "open" time to allow me to resize the piece and press it into place. Has held up for a year without any delimitation.

Return to “Tools: General”