Tool and tool source suggestions

Looking to buy a new square, saw, plane, or ?? Have a question about which sharpening stone to buy? This is the place.
djwong
Deshi

Re: Tool and tool source suggestions

Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:56 am

There are some Japanese pictorials for making a genno handle on the web. Here are a few...
http://blog.livedoor.jp/meisterofsolt/a ... 50680.html
http://www2.odn.ne.jp/mandaraya/enoshikomi.html
http://youtu.be/bf3pK7Dj6Uk

Here is a blog entry with a little simple explanation of the handle dimensions. The length is about to the elbow. The thickness of the grip is taylored for your grip. I don't know if there is an explanation for the angle of the hammer head. You can see the angle is based on the centerline. make sure to have the flat surface of your hammer head facing down.

Beautiful handle Brian. Really graceful lines.
Vips
Sweeper of Floors, Maker of Tea

Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:25 am

Thanks for the great info Brian and Djwong. That is a beautiful handle, Brian. The gennou is indeed hourglass shaped, not tapered as I mentioned earlier. I have some eucalyptus branches which I will use to make a handle. I'm not sure yet if this will prove too brittle, but I'll give it a go as it does look like there may be several iterations before I arrive at a handle design that suits me. I also found this link which is great, http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread. ... u-(Hammer). Also these videos by Baba Masayuki, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haqK44YlDvM. After all this, I'm sure I'll make a hash of my first attempt, but I'm glad I have this info to guide further attempts.

Regarding the mouth, I think it was purely beginners luck Brian! As for the chip breaker, I will attempt to trim the mimi (hammer flat/file down) to see how far this allows the chip breaker to go down. The chip breaker has the correct bow shape, so I'm a little worried the pressure pin is in at the wrong angle.

One other question, it appears the Tenshin that I've tuned came conditioned with two touch points. If I wanted three touch points for the other planes, providing they also have this pre-configuration, would it be worthwhile flattening the sole at the risk of widening the mouth?

Thanks again for the help guys, I really appreciate it.
Brian
Deshi

Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:22 am

Thank you both! David, those links are great and very similar to the advice that Stanley gave to me, with one exception, preference given to a sweeping curve, rather than an abrupt angle as the handle enters the eye.

I would think there is a good chance other planes would arrive without conditioning, so you may be in luck that you can choose your own preference after the fact.
Vips

Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:54 pm

So I attempted a few of Stanley Covington's design notes, albeit rather poorly. The handle looks rather flat in the photo, but does feel very nice. I've dropped in some camellia oil in the top, but this eucalyptus perhaps isn't the best material for a hammer handle. It's rather brittle and when cycling through humidity, does have a nasty tendency to crack. It's a branch, so I can only hope it will hold up ok.

I did read somewhere the makers mark should be on the side with the handle. I'm unsure why this is, but I decided against this because there was already a chamfer on the other side.

Perhaps I can get as fancy as Brian on my next attempt at a handle.

Thanks again guys. I'll let you know how I get on with the other Kanna. Any material/info on setting up a jack plane/dimensioning type Kanna?

Brian
Deshi

Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:34 pm

VIPs the makers mark is on the bottom and it's the larger side of the eye. You may want to try again or that hammer may drive you nuts with loosening over time.
Vips

Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:28 am

Thanks Brian. As soon as it starts to loosen, I will change it around with a new handle. Just out of interest, is the opening clearly different in size? When I measured the openings on this head, the opening were identical.
Brian
Deshi

Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:51 am

It's not a huge difference, maybe 1mm~

Yours is a Tenryuu gennou? I'll measure mine and see what I come up with.
Vips

Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:19 pm

A Tenryu by Makaoto Aida according to Tomohito. Mine measured 23.15 mm on both sides, perhaps a not very well made gennou? Technicals aside, if it loosens I shall definitely correct my mistake.
Brian
Deshi

Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:24 pm

I have three gennou from the same maker, I like them a lot. I just measured they have a minuscule taper.

I don't want to hammer away (hahaha.) at the point, I suppose if they move you may want to turn it over. Mine will loosen up in the winter if they are set in the summer, I just reset a little further to tighten.
Vips

Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:55 pm

Still lots of tuning and no chip breaker yet, but getting there. Sharpening needs to be a lot better.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (816.96 KiB) Viewed 6030 times

Return to “Tools: General”