Storing a machinist's straight edge

Looking to buy a new square, saw, plane, or ?? Have a question about which sharpening stone to buy? This is the place.
John Whitley
Deshi

Storing a machinist's straight edge

Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:35 pm

I'm in the process of getting a Starrett 36" straight edge (one edge beveled). I would already have one, except that Starrett ships them in just a minimal cardboard "wrapper" and Amazon just throws that into a big box that *exactly* fits lengthwise... with no end padding. So the first one was dropped on end and destroyed by a tiny ding. :shock: I sent both Amazon and Starrett some polite yet pointed feedback on this.

Once I navigate that process, I'll need to store the thing to avoid a recurrence. A bit of research has dug up the following ways people have "solved" the problem:
  1. Stick it precariously on a rack or shelf and walk around it on eggshells, including in busy commercial shops(!!).
  2. Stick it on some out-of-the-way shelf by itself.
  3. Make a custom box.
I'm leaning towards the latter, or possibly getting a 36" hard level case. Level cases tend to be end-loading, which seems less than ideal.

Anyone have suggestions on this little storage problem? I'd especially love to hear your clever off-the-shelf solution. E.g. some niche category of ATA flight case to look for on eBay, etc.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Re: Storing a machinist's straight edge

Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:22 pm

I have their 48" straightedge, and it stays in my shop so no need for a travel case. I made a rebated piece of teak and screwed it to the wall. The straightedge simply sits in the rebate (about 0.25" x 0.5"), and the teak is oily so there's no issue of the wood causing rust on the metal. I generally avoid storing any metal tool directly in contact with wood, but teak is okay (at least so far...).
John Whitley
Deshi

Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:34 pm

Thanks Chris. That's a nice middle ground, and should do nicely. I'll probably use ipe rather than teak.
Brian
Deshi

Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:13 am

I did the same as Chris on all of my straight edges.

Return to “Tools: General”