Book ID request

Looking to buy a new square, saw, plane, or ?? Have a question about which sharpening stone to buy? This is the place.
Chris Pyle
Deshi

Book ID request

Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:08 pm

Hi all,

Can anyone help me find where I can purchase a copy of: http://kurayuki.abeshoten.jp/blog/11429 .
I tried to purchase directly from the author on that page but when I submit, the page hangs and doesn't process. I don't know if it's because I'm using the latin alphabet? aka - it may not be set-up to accept orders across seas.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Re: Book ID request

Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:36 pm

I have a copy of that book. You can only obtain it through a Japanese intermediary, as the author won't ship overseas directly. His direct order page does not work.

I've emailed with the author a few times. His philosophy seems to be that everybody else sucks, or is ripping him off. His way is the only way to righteousness, that sort of thing. The book opens with an apparent quotation from Krenov, which after I tracked it down proved to be a selective paraphrasing, which is, well, a little misleading. Maybe that gives you an idea.

Anyhow, I'm not sure that the book is worth the trouble frankly. There's another book on the same topic available from Japan.
Chris Pyle
Deshi

Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:08 pm

Thanks Chris. I'll save my dollars. It looked like it was going to be more of a 'coffee table' book of dovetail joinery. Being that I can't read Japanese, I was hoping the pictures either elucidated the process for cutting the joint or offered enough examples that I could glean something useful. I'll continue my search elsewhere.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:56 pm

There are pictures here and there of a guy (not the author) hand-sawing parts of joints, and some small pictures showing joint internals, but nothing in terms of layout. And, as far as that is concerned, it is a bit of a moot point, since once one understands the mechanism (diagonal assembly) of what the author terms the 'gyaku' forms of corner joint, then one doesn't really need detailed layout info. Spacing and patterning is a question of aesthetic taste as much as anything. It would have been helpful to see details on custom tools required for cutting the joints, but nothing is provided.
Chris Pyle
Deshi

Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:19 pm

Thanks Daruma, any pictures you can post without infringing would be appreciated. I'm going to make a test run of this joint and see how it comes out. It's very flamboyant but I can't deny it's appeal, probably because it's not routinely seen in the wild.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:26 am

There was an article by Alan Peters on that joint in an old issue of Fine Woodworking you may wish to check out Chris. Also, the joint is covered in David Charlesworthś first book.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:47 am

Daruma wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:39 pm
Here`s that other book title:
伝統技術 矩〓組接―設計と製作の実際
Looks like your input software had difficulty with the kanji for hozo(?)
Chris Pyle
Deshi

Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:30 am

Chris Hall wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:26 am
There was an article by Alan Peters on that joint in an old issue of Fine Woodworking you may wish to check out Chris. Also, the joint is covered in David Charlesworthś first book.
Thanks Chris, I'll see if I can find the article.

And thanks Daruma for all of the examples. I appreciate you taking the time to upload.
John Whitley
Deshi

Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:50 am

Chris, that article is in FWW #61. Chris Hall posted that reference and more in his blog post Chasing Transcendence. The article in question doesn't seem to be available as a one-off download from FWW.
crannygoat
Raw Log Import

Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:26 pm

Saw this a while back, might be worth a watch. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0I4daFLnO5c

Return to “Tools: General”