A bit more storage

Looking to buy a new square, saw, plane, or ?? Have a question about which sharpening stone to buy? This is the place.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

A bit more storage

Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:55 pm

I've been acquiring various Kennedy roller cabs and tool boxes as funds permit, choosing to store most of my stuff in cabinets, out of the dust and chips.

This one, my 3rd roller cab, was $350 from a local seller who delivered for the price. With the wheels removed, it tucks in just under the infeed side of my jointer:

P3290011.JPG
P3290011.JPG (237.68 KiB) Viewed 7178 times

I keep my Zimmermann sander platens, Tersa knives, jointer tools, and quick change knives for my surfacer in this cabinet. There's plenty of room left at this point for other stuff.

I figure I need one more, for router-associated tooling and jigs, etc., and I should have all i need. Gotta keep at the 5S thing ya know.
Brian
Deshi

Re: A bit more storage

Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:22 am

Cool, I've been meaning to pickup another tool cabinet myself so I'll watch out for these type. Thanks for sharing.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:36 am

There are various choices in metal tool cabs, and I've probably looked at them all. The nicest are Lista and Vidmar, but those are expensive even when well used.

Snap On are ridiculously expensive - the biggest ones clock in at nearly $15,000.

Harbor Freight has the least expensive ones, and seem decently made for the most parts....but made in China.

Sears Craftsman cabs are abundant, but the quality is not the best, especially on the ones of more recent manufacturing date.

I chose Kennedy as they are, I mean were, made in the US. They are meant to store machinist tools, so they can bear some decent weight. and they come up fairly often on the used market, at least in my area. They come in a bunch of sizes and configurations too.
Brian
Deshi

Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:05 pm

I’ll keep an eye out for them, thanks Chris!

I have an old craftsman and it’s definetly a POS. I’ve been tempted to build a wooden cabinet, but the metal ones are likely a better choice for the machine tool shop.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:26 pm

i line the floors of my cab drawers with Zerust liner, which keeps the corrosion away really well.
Brian
Deshi

Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:27 am

Thanks Chris, that will come in handy.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:47 pm

I found that the toolbox was going to be in the physical way of my jointer infeed table if I lowered much beyond a 1/8" deep cut, so I pulled the box back and out of the way, and that turns out to be a good position for it as well. Glad I thought to check and didn't find out the hard way by running the jointer table into the box.
Brian
Deshi

Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:19 pm

I've done that with the milling machine, in every case the machine won. :oops:

Return to “Tools: General”