Micro Fence for OF1400

Looking to buy a new square, saw, plane, or ?? Have a question about which sharpening stone to buy? This is the place.
Brian
Deshi

Re: Micro Fence for OF1400

Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:46 pm

I came across a few of those as well, trouble is that they’re all 1/4” diameter. I’m thinking 1/2” or larger, really aiming for 3/4” or 1” but that might be over doing it a bit.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:00 pm

Considering the load on the screw isn't too high, I'm sure that 1/2" is more than adequately stiff enough. I was wondering why those 100TPI screws are only in small size fittings. Surely though a 100TPI screw could be obtained in 1/2", but I think it may be too annoying to use, given the amount of turns one would have to make to move any significant distance. That's a tough call, determining the ideal TPI for a device like this....

One thing that is a little cheesy about Microfence is that they use plastic plain bearings inside the aluminum parts, and these wear somewhat quickly, making the whole thing a little loosey goosey after a while. It would be a nice upgrade to go with bronze bushings, reamed to a really nice fit. Also, Microfence's graduated indicator is prone to coming loose, and it has no mechanical attachment to the screw - which it should have. It can be really frustrating when you have turned the screw a set amount only to discover later that the graduated indicator had rotated between cuts some amount and so you unintentionally over-do an adjustment and have the delight of an undersized part..
Brian
Deshi

Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:09 am

20 or 32 TPI seems good. I think also dumping the plastic bushings for oiled bronze makes good sense.

I’m not sure where to get a graduated collar, but that would be helpful to have. I use it on the incra fence and find it handy.

I have been thinking about the locking mechanism as well, a bolt pressing on threads is not ideal, so I’ve been thinking of other types of locking collars.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:51 am

If you get fixing bolts with brass or plastic tips, the will press on the adjuster screw without damaging it. But surely there is a better solution that won't vibrate loose.
Jonnishida
Lurker

Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:08 pm

I think it would be possible to modify router collets to lock the fence to the rods assuming you used 1/4” guide rods.

Router collett extensions are fairly cheap and if you drilled them through for the guide rods, fixed them to your fence (press fit, set screw or even pinched them) it would be very secure and non marring. Drilling through might be the most difficult part but since you have acces to not only a milling machine but also a machinist it shouldn’t be too much of a problem (you lucky dog :D )

Jon
Brian
Deshi

Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:25 pm

Thanks gents, got some good ideas!

Return to “Tools: General”