Bench build

Here's a place for forum members to share pictures of their recent work outside of the study group projects.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Re: Bench build

Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:00 pm

And hey, nitpick aside - great job! Like the solid wood joinery approach and overall aesthetic! Looking forward to seeing more of your work.
Brian
Deshi

Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:25 pm

Thanks Chris, I appreciate the sentiment.

This is what I have found as well, while I enjoy the aesthetic of this joint I probably won't put it to use again in the future.

It is slightly helped by the fact that it's captured in the mortise, but not so much that it saves it from being somewhat precious.
De
Dennis

Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:21 pm

If the bench is going to remain outside and exposed to the elements, it's good to see someone that has an adventurous spirit regarding what they have made. It's not often.
Brian
Deshi

Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:07 am

It's already back inside, my wife talked me out of it.
De
Dennis

Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:29 am

Good for her. That's a nice compliment!
Brian
Deshi

Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:31 am

Thank you!
Paul Atzenweiler
Deshi

Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:29 pm

I like a lot of things about your bench including that joint with the tapered wedge. I appreciate to arguments about some of its potential weaknesses, I also don't see this joint being put to extreme tests. I have spent some time thinking about it because I like the theory behind it and it looks good. I am currently kicking around an idea for a portable "proper" jobsite bench and may use a form of this joint in its construction.
Brian
Deshi

Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:10 am

Thanks Paul. Sounds like an interesting project that you have in mind, are you talking about a saw bench or work bench?

I have a saw bench on the list to build next, personally.
Paul Atzenweiler
Deshi

Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:18 pm

In regards to work method, I sorta divide craftsmen into 2 vaguely defined groups: those who work from a "standardized" Euro type cabinetmaker's bench and those who work on the floor or smaller bench/horse. For my entire "professional" woodworking life I have been a floor/small bench person out of necessity mostly driven by space and portability. While I love working from a low bench (much like the bench you built) I have more recently built a larger more traditional bench that I like and would like to make a smaller Frankenstein cross of the two for jobsites. Here are a couple of examples that represent the direction I am thinking. I have a couple of "workmate" folding benches that have certainly worked, I just want a work surface that is MINE.
Attachments
portable bench 1.jpg
portable bench 1.jpg (11.87 KiB) Viewed 3508 times
portable bench 2.jpg
portable bench 2.jpg (16.55 KiB) Viewed 3508 times
Chris Pyle
Deshi

Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:53 pm

Paul Atzenweiler wrote:In regards to work method, I sorta divide craftsmen into 2 vaguely defined groups: those who work from a "standardized" Euro type cabinetmaker's bench and those who work on the floor or smaller bench/horse. For my entire "professional" woodworking life I have been a floor/small bench person out of necessity mostly driven by space and portability. While I love working from a low bench (much like the bench you built) I have more recently built a larger more traditional bench that I like and would like to make a smaller Frankenstein cross of the two for jobsites. Here are a couple of examples that represent the direction I am thinking. I have a couple of "workmate" folding benches that have certainly worked, I just want a work surface that is MINE.

That'd be a great project for Chris joinery study group or perhaps a forum group build, where we pin down a design and build together. I don't know if there are many people interested but I would be (assuming we have moved by then). Just an idea.

Return to “Your Recent work”