Bench build

Here's a place for forum members to share pictures of their recent work outside of the study group projects.
Brian
Deshi

Re: Bench build

Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:20 pm

Paul, I like those they look like they would be fantastic as a saw bench in addition to what you have in mind.

If you get a chance check out Derek Cohen's blog, inthewoodshop, one of his pieces is a portable bench with a wooden screw vise that he uses for trade shows. Might add some food for thought.
Paul Atzenweiler
Deshi

Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:08 pm

Thank you, I just went to his site and think there will be a lot of good information. His shop is in Australia, I should really go and his bench in person . . . .
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:47 pm

It has crossed my mind to do a Japanese planing beam project, somewhat 'deluxified' perhaps...
Jack_Ervin.

Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:59 pm

You might look at John Whitley’s planing board arrangement here. He put some good ideas together.

This beam could be uses across a couple saw horses of a pair of workmates as well as on the floor.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=264

Jack
Paul Atzenweiler
Deshi

Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:46 pm

I do like that arrangement and I also like Chris's idea of a "deluxified" planing beam. In warmer weather I set up a planing beam. My space in my home workshop is so limited, I can't have it set up all the time.
De
Dennis

Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:09 am

What are you guys referring to as wiping varnish? I believe that varnish generally contains resins or synthetic oils, possibly mixed with natural oil. I think that Chris referred to Tung oil as a wiping varnish, is that Tung other than the one hundred percent type that is mixed with something else? Are you differentiating a pure natural oil finish from varnish? Thanks.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:36 am

Dennis,

it's a term that Bob Flexner coined:
"Wiping varnish is simply common oil-based varnish (any type, including alkyd varnish, polyurethane varnish or spar varnish) that is thinned enough with mineral spirits (paint thinner) so it is easy to wipe on wood. You can easily make your own.

The name, which I created in 1990, and which has been adopted by most writers and teachers of wood finishing, makes sense because the purpose of thinning is to make the varnish easy to wipe.

You may already be using wiping varnish and not realize it because it isn’t sold under that name (maybe because that would give away the simplicity of the finish). It’s sold under many different brand names, and few indicate what the finish really is.

This is the problem with wiping varnish and the reason it isn’t widely recognized as one of the best finishes for anyone not using a spray gun. Manufacturers obscure the true nature of the finish by their misleading, and sometimes outright deceptive, product labeling. They want you to think they are selling you something different and special."
Above quote from a 2008 Popular Woodworking Article, The Basics of Wiping Varnish.

If the Tung oil container does not say '100% Tung Oil', then it is most likely wiping varnish with some Tung Oil added and various driers. You'll know it is 100% Tung Oil if it takes about a week to dry between coats.
Brian
Deshi

Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:54 am

Eco friendly (or woodworker friendly) and wipe-on would be a dream.

My shop is in my basement so I keep the sanding to an absolute minimum and nearly all of it is done with a ROS that has a dust extractor attached to it. How much sanding is involved in the Eco var?

Btw Chris, I saw that you have recently received a festool sander, it's been my experience that they won't leave swirl if you turn the vacuum power down to the lowest point where it still removes the dust. I don't know if it's been an issue for you yet, but it was one of issues that I had with the festool ROS.
Last edited by Brian on Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:07 am

Brian,

thanks for the tip but I'm ahead of you and do have the vac on the lowest setting. Wasn't having any problems with swirl.
Brian
Deshi

Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:25 am

Excellent!

Btw, the tables are coming out very nicely. I won't give it away, but I have figured out how the corners assemble. :P

Return to “Your Recent work”