Bench build

Here's a place for forum members to share pictures of their recent work outside of the study group projects.
Chris Pyle
Deshi

Re: Bench build

Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:07 pm

Chris Hall wrote:It has crossed my mind to do a Japanese planing beam project, somewhat 'deluxified' perhaps...

With my attempting to complete sawhorses soon, I'd be very interested in a planing beam project. I meant to reply sooner, hopefully some others would find this an interesting project as well.
Sebastian Gonzalez
Sweeper of Floors, Maker of Tea

Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:41 pm

Chris Pyle wrote:
Chris Hall wrote:It has crossed my mind to do a Japanese planing beam project, somewhat 'deluxified' perhaps...

With my attempting to complete sawhorses soon, I'd be very interested in a planing beam project. I meant to reply sooner, hopefully some others would find this an interesting project as well.
Count me in.

I think I have sold my european workbench, so I need something to plane on the next 3 months. I would be totally down for a planing beam project.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:11 pm

A couple of other projects spring to mind, so I'll put it out there to see if they appeal:

-A storage rack/box for handsaws
-Sharpening stone holders - a two component system.
Brian
Deshi

Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:22 am

Absolutely in both cases.
Chris Pyle
Deshi

Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:06 pm

Brian wrote:Absolutely in both cases.
I was waiting for someone else to post first, but agreed. Both sound like great projects.
Jason
Lurker

Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:42 pm

Brian wrote:Sorry Chris, I thought you were comparing to the wedge tenons in the top of my bench.

Yes the grain is running in that way, however it doesn't put much pressure (if any) outwardly on the long grain in practical use. It's main function is to capture the upright and help it to maintain it's position.

The wedge in this case is seated when the upright meets the shoulder of the through tenon and not forced beyond that. If one were to drive it home they would likely split the tenon prior to splitting the upright.

It's function is the same as that of a tusk tenon more so than that of a wedged through tenon.
I love this joint. Nakashima used it on his early Milkhouse coffee table:

[img]image.jpg[/img]
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (195.39 KiB) Viewed 3837 times
Brian
Deshi

Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:21 pm

I am particularly fond of early Nakashima pieces. I enjoyed his applications of the joint, in fact he uses it fairly commonly. I think I tend to gravitate toward early work because a great deal of interesting accomplishments are made early in careers when an artist is making great leaps in their design abilities to satisfy the needs and expectations of clients.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:07 pm

Still a crappy joint. You're in love with the appearance of the thing more than the reality of how well it performs mechanically.

I've seen plenty of Nakashima pieces and I don't care for them. I don't like the way they are built. For example, in the above picture the everted table end is clumsily done and appears to be fastened to the end grain of the board with a screw and plug. I liked his book though, and at least he uses solid wood.
Brian
Deshi

Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:03 pm

If it weren't for his work stopping me in my tracks as a teenager I probably would not be building furniture as a hobby. It stuck with me for years and years.

Your work has the same lingering affect on me, I think I read and re-read the Ming table build 3-4 times already.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:40 pm

Yeah, he's had a positive influence on many Western woodworkers, and that's a good thing.

Return to “Your Recent work”