A humble stool

Here's a place for forum members to share pictures of their recent work outside of the study group projects.
Steve
Raw Log Import

A humble stool

Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:13 pm

I have been working through the layout of splayed post stools for a few weeks now in my spare time with the help of Chris's article on Japanese Compound Layout. Not in any way do I have the full understanding of every detail yet, but word got out and next thing you know I have a guy asking me if he I could show him how to build his own stool.

So, here he is at the shop with a couple of scrappy fir boards discarded from a welding shop, embedded with nails, metal chips and machine oil. Salvage wood is big with kids now I guess. But how can you say no to a guy who wants to learn, even if you aren't really ready to teach?

What followed was a crash course in just about everything, from the layout to using a chisel. In the end fumbling and bumbling through the layout with the guy was hugely rewarding when I finally saw the light go off in his head.

So,,, I submit this humble stool. Yes, the mortises are a little ragged and there are nail holes in the wood, but I would say this was one of the more rewarding projects to come out of the shop lately.
Attachments
bench_3.jpg
bench_3.jpg (145.27 KiB) Viewed 3959 times
bench_1.jpg
bench_1.jpg (102.62 KiB) Viewed 3959 times
bench_2.jpg
bench_2.jpg (145.39 KiB) Viewed 3959 times
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Re: A humble stool

Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:46 pm

Good to see your work - congratulations on wading into the world of splayed post work! Build more of them and you'll improve your understanding each time.
Paul Atzenweiler
Deshi

Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:22 pm

Steve, your post sounds a little you're apologizing for the stool. I don't see anything to be sorry for. I am no kid, but I am also a fan of recycled wood - the projects I have posted on this site are recycled wood. I really love the grain of this wood you used. I don't know what kind of work you and your friend normally do, but I am a fan so far.
Steve
Raw Log Import

Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:51 pm

A little stool made of doug fir scraps about 2 years ago. The stool was built quickly and not especially well - the joints are held with a bent over galvanized finish nail, and she has spent most of 2 years serving duty at an outdoor hot tub.... someone took pity on her and gave her a home indoors this winter. Cool to see how wood joints age over time.
Attachments
stool_2.jpg
stool_2.jpg (105.18 KiB) Viewed 3718 times
stool_1.jpg
stool_1.jpg (120.15 KiB) Viewed 3718 times
Steve
Raw Log Import

Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:52 pm

This was a fun break from working on the sheds. A quick little stool made of door stock scrap. Made to hold a glass water jug.
Attachments
bench.jpg
bench.jpg (70.52 KiB) Viewed 3676 times
SteveM
Raw Log Import

Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:21 pm

Very nice, I like the shape and proportions.

Steve

Return to “Your Recent work”