Bale bengong variation

Here's a place for forum members to share pictures of their recent work outside of the study group projects.
AntoineLaMothe
Raw Log Import

Bale bengong variation

Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:50 pm

Hi to all,

first post here... I've been reading a lot, though!

I started timber frame projects a few years ago and 2014 has been my first as a timber framer ONLY. I'm far from making enough money, but I guess I can't complain, doing what I want to do. I only make exterior buildings such as pavillons, gates or gazebos, no residential (yet). I'm into the japanese way of working wood, joinery and tools wise. As far as design, well for now I've been doing what my few customers wanted, so nothing very fancy yet... except for that last project, wich is a northern/japanese variation of the Bale Bengongs they have in Bali. It's all eastern white cedar, since it's the best thing I can get that grows around here for outside work. All of that was handplaned, and it was a mess to do, with all these knots and wild grain. You can only get small timbers from EWC, so you have to deal with all the imperfections you can imagine... This is the kind of project I would love to do again and again, since it's such a simple structure that give me the feeling the design quality hides in details I'm far from fully getting yet. Tell me what you think!
craftsmanship1.jpg
craftsmanship1.jpg (292.25 KiB) Viewed 4485 times
craftsmanship2.jpg
craftsmanship2.jpg (226.75 KiB) Viewed 4479 times
craftsmanship3.jpg
craftsmanship3.jpg (171.09 KiB) Viewed 4479 times

I'm working on plans for my own house, and will probably be asking some questions regarding roof structure, so I though I'd introduce myself properly before just stealing all of your knowledge :D
Brian
Deshi

Re: Bale bengong variation

Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:12 pm

Very nice work, gorgeous!
Steve
Raw Log Import

Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:44 pm

Very nice, what does it measure?
Chris Pyle
Deshi

Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:59 pm

Very well done. I don't have a trained eye like many on the board but that looks very well executed. I'd be extremely proud to show others that work.
AntoineLaMothe
Raw Log Import

Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:12 pm

Thank you for the encouragements.

The posts form a square of 8'6'' center to center, and there's a 20'' ish overhang. The thing is a bit high, the floor on the front side standing at more than 3 feet. We'll do some landscaping next spring in order to hide the metal footings and to better integrate the structure.

The execution is good at some places but too often gaps appear. Having to work with irregular posts like that did not help, and the problems I met while planing brought more trouble in joinery as the pieces where too irregular at some places. And these planing problems came mostly from my sharpening problems... :lol: That will need another thread...!
Paul Atzenweiler
Deshi

Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:01 am

I looks very nice. A very nice feather in your hat.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:56 am

I think that is very well done indeed. It misses on some details as far as emulating Japanese construction, though I know it is also borrowing from the Balinese vernacular, which I am far less familiar with. Given it is your first timber frame project it is excellent work. Kudos!
AntoineLaMothe
Raw Log Import

Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:56 am

Thanks Chris. I'm looking forward to go deeper into japanese structures. This one is a ''fake'' on a few points, like the curve that is not into the frame but more into the finishing, and I'm sure you noticed quickly. Plus, it's really only inspirational: the proportions and little carvings and curve profile are purely intuitive design made with the client, they don't come from serious research. I got to clarify though that it is not my first timber frame project... maybe it wasn't clear in the first post, but this is my first ''nicer'' project (hand planed, curved roof, round posts, shingles...etc.). I think I have made 6 or 7 small builds overall.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:09 pm

Still, great job!
De
Dennis

Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:01 pm

It's an attractive structure, humble and also from a distance appears done with care.

Return to “Your Recent work”