Cabinet Build (WIP)

Here's a place for forum members to share pictures of their recent work outside of the study group projects.
Yxoc

Re: Cabinet Build (WIP)

Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:03 am

Yeah, nice work Brian!!
Brian
Deshi

Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:10 am

Thank you!
Brian
Deshi

Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:40 pm

Brian
Deshi

Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:59 am

I *might*, and it's very iffy, might have enough leather for the inside door panels. I remembered having alot more stock....but then also remembered that I used it on every conceivable thing, so I'm down to the last bits.

I'm thinking of switching to lamb suede for the drawer liners, they're a little more in-line with jewelry than leather and a little easier to work with in some ways. More difficult in others (a heavy hand with the glue will ruin it).

The leather for the doors is black...however since I have to order new stuff for the drawers I'm debating the color, any input?

I found enough ebony for the door pulls, but they will end up being short of the full length of the doors, which is probably for the best. I will have to cut a blind rabbet, which was something I was attempting to avoid, but it will avoid getting involved with the mortises which is good.
Brian
Deshi

Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:08 pm

Oh many a drawer front to unwind :)

New trying plane, been exhausted by pushing the metal jointer over panels. I actually injured myself building that last table top with a pretty awful twisting injury, that was the moment I decided it was time for a better approach. Kanna are coming soon as well for finish planing.

Successfully unwound :)

Time to cut to thickness

Mitering the back edge to prevent blowout;

Cut to thickness

Joint with the trying plane

Finish with smoother

Smooth :)

I had to check my work on the back side, all of which moved because I was taking so much material off. The rinse/repeat six more times.

Next I can get into the drawer making. I just need to determine a few intricacies and I will be on my way.
Brian
Deshi

Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:05 pm

My drawer fronts are now most of the way complete. I plan to move along with the majority of the rest of the work before deciding what to do on the drawer pulls. My intended plans will not work out as my mom has insisted that I build necklace hangers into the door fronts....using up all of the available space between the drawers and the doors.

So, I am building this setup and likely will complete the drawers before actually deciding on how to open them. Poor planning, I know, but I expect it will work out. Worst case I can do the Nakashima style pull, something I have been very much trying to avoid.

Showing the molding details inside the case, these are not actually attached yet except by how they lock into the inside panels

The inside of the doors will be lined with leather, with a thin open space for the necklaces covered by battens and veneered panels

This is a very rough mock-up of the inside of the door without the panel

and with the panel (uncut)
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:41 pm

Nothing is coming to mind when i imagine 'Nakashima-style pull' - what's the deal with those?
Brian
Deshi

Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:42 pm

They cut a lip in the underside of the upper drawer front and a notch in the top of the drawer underneath of it to allow access.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:47 pm

Oh, a hardware-free option. Got it. Nakashima seems to have preferred simple (I would suggest a better word would be 'simplistic') solutions to various constructional aspects. The plain turned spindle legs on some of the cabinets for example (which I find more than a little underwhelming).
Brian
Deshi

Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:16 pm

He's sort of borrowing on Charlotte Perriand, who probably saw something similar in a cabinet in Japan. I might try to find something closer to where the idea originates and take my own interpretation.

I like a lot of Nakashima stuff, but i tend to agree that some of it is very simplistic.

Return to “Your Recent work”