Cabinet Build (WIP)

Here's a place for forum members to share pictures of their recent work outside of the study group projects.
djwong
Deshi

Re: Cabinet Build (WIP)

Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:30 pm

Brian wrote:Do you build a slurry with a 1200 atoma?
Yes. I use an atoma 1200 to raise a slurry on both my Suita and Asagi. The Suita I can get away with using without a slurry, but it is easier and faster just to use the atoma 1200. I also have an old white nagura, that I got from JapanWoodworker probably 35 years ago. I have been experimenting with that, but with no real conclusions yet.
Brian
Deshi

Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:52 pm

I do the same, I've been using the 1200 atoma on both to build a slurry. It works much quicker for me on both stones than otherwise.

I've recently been contemplating switching my medium stones for naturals as well. I like how hard they are, how much they aren't stifled by slurry and how they're by nature truly splash and go.

Is your Nagura a medium stone for your chisels or are you using it to slurry? I've read a lot about Ikarashi rough stones (1-2k), but feel there are probably 2-3 more steps needed between that and the Nakayama asagi.

Based on Takaiwa's book I'm thinking maybe a chu-nagura, Komo-nagura and uchigumori?

I guess my thinking is that I would really like to move on from soaking stones, as much as I love how the chosera's cut, i find it a hinderance to soak the stones. Maybe going all the way to Ikarashi is unnecessary, so maybe just adding a uchigumori would be enough to get to good steel on every sharpening.
djwong
Deshi

Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:08 am

The nagura I have is a small white stone, but I can't really judge it's fineness. I use it to create a slurry and to clean off dwarf from the finish stones. I have not used it on the Nakayama.

Tonight I just ordered an Asano Koma nagura, and a Botan, Tenjyou and Mejiro Asano Nagura Set. The last 3 are suppose to be somewhat coarser. I look forward to playing with them.

I share your desire to use mostly natural stones. I regularly use a blue Aoto (~4-5K). I also have a red Amakusa (~800), that cuts excruciatingly slow, but leaves a nice finish. I was also interested in the Ikarashi, but have not been able to locate one.

I start a new topic in "Rocks", when I get my naguras.
durbien
Sweeper of Floors, Maker of Tea

Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:31 am

Out of curiosity, did you buy your Atoma 1200s from So or some other source?
Brian
Deshi

Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:39 pm

I bought from So, I've been buying pretty much everything from him lately (spare a few odds and ends). He's proven to be very reliable, good pricing and also a genuinely good person.

We chat about all kind of stuff, but when it comes to woodworking stuff especially So does not hold back on providing proper information about all manner of things. Between him, Chris, David and you folks here I'm truly spoiled.

DJ, thank you! Do you find you can go from the Blue Aoto right to a finish stone or do you feel there should be another stepping stone (lols) between the two.

I havent found an Ikarashi yet either....once i recover from recent purchases and return to the hunt I plan to ask So if he has any in his stock.
djwong
Deshi

Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:04 pm

Brian wrote:Do you find you can go from the Blue Aoto right to a finish stone or do you feel there should be another stepping stone (lols) between the two.
Sorry Brian, I missed this question.

I am lucky to have a fairly hard blue aoto, that while not aggressive, cuts reasonably well. It leaves a blade surface relatively scratch-free, ready for the finish stone. I would actually like to have something a bit coarser than my aoto. Currently, I use a shapton 2000#. I purchased my aoto a few years ago at a place named the Epicurean Edge. They were advertising a "reserved aoto" at a small cost premium to their regular aoto's. Turned out to be a nice stone.
Brian
Deshi

Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:12 pm

Nice, sounds like an awesome find, the only one I have seen recently had been on Maxim's site at a bit steep price.

I've got a few ideas rolling around on this so as soon as I have something in hand I'll post it up.

And the cabinet continues;

And onto more parts....drawer slips (iPhone corrected slips to skis, lol).

Getting a sweeeet finish off the try plane

Brian
Deshi

Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:28 am

Finishing up the drawer slips here;

Getting a nice shiny finish
ImageImage

Making stub tenons to locate the sides
ImageImageImage

Still debating the drawer liners. Might do leather, might do something else.

Getting closer....
Brian
Deshi

Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:24 pm

Moving along, I decided to stick with my original plan on these rather than change.

Brian
Deshi

Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:20 pm

Ready for finish.

I cut 1/4" deep grooves to house the handles and finished up planing the drawers and case.

Return to “Your Recent work”