Table Build

Here's a place for forum members to share pictures of their recent work outside of the study group projects.
Brian
Deshi

Table Build

Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:37 pm

The bed build is now complete, I will post up some photos as soon as I can shuffle the furniture around in my house. The cabinet will resume shortly after this table is complete.

Now I'm onto a table, building this small dining table height table for a friend of mine for use in his art studio. He is a painter, but just like those painters wearing Italian suits and smoking cigars from the 40's....he's of that variety, so a bit of fine furniture in the studio is needed.

Starting off by prepping the stock, I removed the wind and leveled these boards, prepping them to be glued together to form the tabletop;

You may notice that sometimes when prepping stock I like a bit of entertainment in the workshop, contrast to when I'm cutting joinery I like everything quiet.

Two glued and onto board three;

Everything is glued, leveled, jointed and thicknessed and now I a prepared to start cutting the battens;

Battens are done and now cutting tapered dados;

Followed by dovetailing them with the side rabbet;

All set;

The cherry stock is prepped for this project, all ready for joinery. I did not document the prepping of this stock since it's so redundant with the recent past.
Brian
Deshi

Re: Table Build

Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:34 pm

Much time spent on the saw today! Hah, but hopefully to good effect;

Finishing sawing those in two ways, I could have cheated but I wanted to retain the additional stock for future use

Started these by flattening the backs

Then reference for the sides and finally sawing the first angle, this is the attachment point for the table edge.

I planed that flat and true, then clamped this up with a batten and cut the groove with a grooving plane. Sorry I skipped the photos in the moment

Next I use the dovetail plane on both the housing and on the table edge, maintaining a comparable taper on both

Test fitting

Now making out for the second angle

and sawing

I trued that cut, cut another angle at the bottom, then rounded over the edges with a spoke shave and finally finished it all to a nice texture with the smoothing plane

I dont know what it is about these wings, but I think they are pretty neat. Obviously a bit overboard for the goal in mind, but they double as battens and are super sturdy.

Just a quick note that these are purposefully left long at the moment.
J.T.
Raw Log Import

Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:01 am

Really nice! The bed also beautiful! Like the wings too!
J.T.
Brian
Deshi

Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:55 am

Thanks JT!
Brian
Deshi

Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:16 pm

Been a stretch since I worked on this. Some changes, my friend decided it was too fancy for painting on, and so now it is going to be a coffee table. Not a problem.

This is a teaser, I will post up the cut out after I finish the other side. I was debating if the stub tenons were necessary and safe to say I am glad I decided to add them, thus joint us short but super sturdy. Frankly, I'm surprised at how much sturdiness it added to the assembly. I won't be gluing this joint, simply adding a peg to hold it together.

Brian
Deshi

Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:54 am

And here is the fun stuff;

quintessential robe shot.

Paul Atzenweiler
Deshi

Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:58 am

Love love love it! Whenever you post pictures i find myself being very jealous of workspace and tools. Today i am envious of your saws. Well done on that long sliding dovetail. The piece looks great. What color are you going to paint it?
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:16 pm

Add a little melamine to that top and it will be easy to care for...
Brian
Deshi

Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:45 pm

Lol!

It was orginally going to get the Jackson Pollick treatment, but now it looks like it will left to patina at a much slower pace.

Thanks gents!
Jon B
Sweeper of Floors, Maker of Tea

Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:12 pm

The table is looking great Brian. I like that dovetail plane you used to cut the sliding dovetails.

Return to “Your Recent work”