My developing shop thread

Here's a place for forum members to share pictures of their recent work outside of the study group projects.
djwong
Deshi

Re: My developing shop thread

Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:24 pm

Chris,
Thanks for taking the time to measure everything. Overall, the Konobu handles are slightly slimmer than my Matsumura's. Just about all of my chisel handles are barrel shaped, so I measured at the widest point. Perhaps the Konobu chisel handles have a less pronounced "barrel", so they appear much slimmer?

David
Brian
Deshi

Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:42 am

Enjoy the classes gents!
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:59 pm

I saw Chris's Konobu chisels at the workshop yesterday, and they indeed have very svelte handles.
Chris Pyle
Deshi

Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:59 pm

Chris,

Do you recall the dimensions of your lumber storage 2x6 sill from your post "Rack Em Up" from Nov. 2013? I'm going to replicate it, as I really like the design. I purchased some pressure treated 2x6s to create the sill (since my rack will be sitting directly on concrete). It looks like it's either 4x4 or 4x6 but I want to double check before cutting.

Thanks!
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:30 pm

I made it roughly 4'x4' in footprint, but it could be made to any dimension really.
Brian
Deshi

Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:16 pm

Chris P,

How were the Konobu's? Easy to flatten the backs?

Chris-Sensei, I'm wondering if you havent received your Konobu's as well. IIRC you ordered yours around the same time I ordered mine. I should have mine soon, So sent me pictures of them. :D

I'm sort of hoping they require little more than a finish stone, I absolutely love the way the ura is shaped on the chisels.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:13 pm

My impression of the ones Mr. Pile had at the course was that they were delicately sized for oi-ire nomi. They were nicely made, and he can speak in more detail about how they were to set up.

I haven't received the Konobu I ordered from So a while back. I'm thinking they might show up by early next year?

I'm waiting on that Kiyohisa 'gift' box of course!
Brian
Deshi

Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:35 pm

Haha, I can imagine you are the most eager to receive the Kiyohisas.

Delicate can be good for certain operations, all depends I suppose. My old stock Kikuhiromaru are stocky.

Here's the teaser photos So sent to me of the Tsukis.

I've never really thought about a 10 set of paring chisels.....until receiving these photos upon which my first thought was 'I should have ordered a 10 set'. LOL....so maybe...

I'll also take a few photos in the shop so you can see the size of them by comparison to other things in the shop.

Sorry to hijack.
djwong
Deshi

Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:22 pm

Those are beautiful Brian. Looking forward to hear how they perform (which I assume will be awesome!).
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:52 pm

Oh yeah, describing them as 'delicate' is not intended as any sort of put-down. They are beautifully made, with thinner and slimmer proportions than most I've seen of the same type. Maybe those proportions come about by virtue of the fact that Konobu generally makes carving tools.

I have large hands though, so I tend to prefer stockier tools.

Now, if you want the opposite of Konobu, 'chunky', then the go-to brand would be Masayoshi:
N0212-m.jpg
N0212-m.jpg (57.01 KiB) Viewed 6540 times
Apparently the cutting steel is supposed to be quite good.

Return to “Your Recent work”