Framing Ichikawa

Here's a place for forum members to share pictures of their recent work outside of the study group projects.
Brian
Deshi

Framing Ichikawa

Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:57 am

I've been eyeing some classical Ukiyo-e to hang in my study. I came across these early 20ty century reprints and couldnt resist them.

So far I have one near complete, and after I finish the second I will detail the process. These are relatively simple frames, I did some extra detail work on these with the half blind dovetail corners.

Last edited by Brian on Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
djwong
Deshi

Re: Framing Ichikawa

Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:01 am

I really like the frame. Simple clean lines. The half blind dovetails are a very clever departure from mitered or mortised corners.
Jon B
Sweeper of Floors, Maker of Tea

Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:48 am

Nice frame Brian and excellent print as well. I'll be interested to see the details on the build of the frame, as I've been contemplating a few frame designs myself lately.
Brian
Deshi

Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:56 pm

Thanks Fellas, glad to hear that you like the styling. I always debate heavily whether I will show joinery on a frame, it's nice for the viewer to see that the frame is not just a glue up but includes real joinery. I do plain miters as well on some frames, but when doing a short run like this is nice to run a little wild with details. I dont do these professionally by any means, but one of my friends has enlisted my help for some time in building frames for his art work. It started off with my thinking it would be about 5-10 paintings, it's over 100 at current.

I've never seen a frame quite like this, just something I came up with in the process of making so many frames.

I finish plane the stock prior to working on it so that the inside surfaces are completely finish planed

Getting a nice sheen right off the finish plane

Chamfering all of the inside edges

Half laps

Grooved the outside frame membersImage

Mitering the inside of the half lap shoulders

Jointing and fine tuning the finished inside frame

Dovetails
Last edited by Brian on Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brian
Deshi

Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:59 pm

Dry fit

One more to go :D
Paul Atzenweiler
Deshi

Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:00 am

Well done. Those frames would make a sheet of typing paper look like a piece of art.
Brian
Deshi

Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:47 pm

Hah, thanks Paul!
Chris Pyle
Deshi

Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:41 pm

Brian,

I really like your picture frame. I just received a print from David Bull of Hokusai's 'The Great Wave'. I want to make a frame that is subdued but thoughtful, which I believe you've achieved with your frame. The picture is currently sitting in a cardboard housing as I don't want to expose it to sunlight until it's time to put it on the wall.

Anyway, great work. BTW, did you get your Konobu's? The handles are rather long, eh? I really like the fit and finish. I'd be interested in seeing pics once you have them in hand.
Brian
Deshi

Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:20 pm

Thanks Chris!

Please feel free to borrow on my frame here. Couple things; Cardboard is bad for prints, so dont store it in there long term. I used 'acid free' board with a white face to back the prints. Sunlight is particularly rough on these old prints, if it cant be avoided just make sure you are using UV protectant glass. Post photos when it is complete :D

Haven't received the Konobu's yet, I think So's waiting on one more thing to come in from Kikuhiromaru before sending.

I'm pretty excited about them, I think I will have the remainder of the set made.
Paul Atzenweiler
Deshi

Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:43 pm

I really like David Bull's videos and his prints.

Return to “Your Recent work”