Low Horses

Here's a place for forum members to share pictures of their recent work outside of the study group projects.
Ken
Raw Log Import

Low Horses

Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:51 pm

I figure this project would be a good starting point and give me a useful shop tool. I'm mostly using Toshio Odate's plans, I made mine a touch longer. I have all the layout done, I'll hopefully start cutting soon.

I do have a question about layouts. In the Japanese method, typically, when are knifed lines used?

Chris Hall
Site Admin

Re: Low Horses

Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:55 pm

Some carpenters knife some of, or most of, their lines, some do not use a marking knife at all. There are different schools of thought on the matter.
Ken
Raw Log Import

Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:13 pm

Chris Hall wrote:Some carpenters knife some of, or most of, their lines, some do not use a marking knife at all. There are different schools of thought on the matter.
Thank you, I figured it might be like that :) I think I'll try it with out and see how I get along.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:43 pm

Part of the decision to knife or not depends upon what sort of tooling you tackle the cut out with, and the propensity of that tool to tear out the surface or not. The knifed line can be the defining opening for other hand tools to gage off of when cleaning the cut out to the line, but one can also choose to gauge the cut (dimension and position) by an offset, a fence setting, a gage block, etc..

Also, whether the joint interfaces are visible or not, and whether the wood you are working is more prone to tear out than other woods if going to affect the decision. A though mortise might be knifed on the exit face but not on the entry face, for example.
Ken
Raw Log Import

Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:26 pm

Chris Hall wrote:Part of the decision to knife or not depends upon what sort of tooling you tackle the cut out with, and the propensity of that tool to tear out the surface or not. The knifed line can be the defining opening for other hand tools to gage off of when cleaning the cut out to the line, but one can also choose to gauge the cut (dimension and position) by an offset, a fence setting, a gage block, etc..

Also, whether the joint interfaces are visible or not, and whether the wood you are working is more prone to tear out than other woods if going to affect the decision. A though mortise might be knifed on the exit face but not on the entry face, for example.
Thank you, that makes a lot of sense.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:40 pm

Ken wrote:Thank you, that makes a lot of sense.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
djwong
Deshi

Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:34 am

Hi Ken,

Instead of Odate's low horse, I built one outlined in a short paper by Mark Grable. The paper may be found here. I preferred it to Odate's because it did not require pegging the beam to the feet. The feet are instead held by a compression fit. The overall dimensions are similar to Odate's example.

Here are a couple of photos...

Ken
Raw Log Import

Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:27 pm

Sure, I see those after I cut everything :shock: oh well... Gives me an excuse to make more :D

They're not super pretty, but I think they'll work well.

The joints came out nice and tight, no pegs or glue. I planed the tops nice and flat and leveled the feet.
SteveM
Raw Log Import

Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:20 pm

Good job :) . They wouldn't stay pretty for long once they've been used anyway. I made mine pretty much the same - using Odate's design. The joints loosen (at least mine did) after some time, but its not really a problem.

Do any of work "on the floor"?
Ken
Raw Log Import

Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:52 pm

SteveM wrote:Good job :) . They wouldn't stay pretty for long once they've been used anyway. I made mine pretty much the same - using Odate's design. The joints loosen (at least mine did) after some time, but its not really a problem.

Do any of work "on the floor"?
Thank you!

These I built on the bench, now that I have these I want to build a planing bench like Odate's and try working on the floor.

Return to “Your Recent work”