Planing Bench

Here's a place for forum members to share pictures of their recent work outside of the study group projects.
Ken
Raw Log Import

Planing Bench

Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:50 pm

Just cut the last sliding dovetail this morning. The first and second dovetails needed a lot of tweaking, the third not so much and the fourth fit on the second try. I'm pretty sure I got lucky, but I'll take it :D

I need to do a little clean up here and there on it and I'm debating if I should square the far end of it or leave it as is.

I'd like to make a shooting board to use on it, but I'm having trouble finding any info on them. I've caught glimpses of them on videos but I haven't been able to find more than that.
Gadge
Sweeper of Floors, Maker of Tea

Re: Planing Bench

Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:25 pm

Open Goggle and enter "How to make a shooting board"
There is a lot of info out there.
djwong
Deshi

Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:00 pm

Hi Ken,

I made a floor bench last year as well. I squared up the ends so I could reference off of any of the bench surfaces. I will stand my bench on its side often, to provide a higher work surface, or to clamp a board to it, so I can rip it. Another floor bench would be very helpful, to support larger pieces, or to stack on top of each other to provide a taller work surface.

I also made a shooting board based on probably the same videos you have seen. It works very well, since you have the freedom to change angle of attack, of the plane. The fence is housed in a through sliding dovetail. The side and back piece (behind the fence), are glued on. I plan to make a new shooting board with a longer back piece, to support the plane better.

Ken
Raw Log Import

Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:45 pm

djwong wrote:Hi Ken,

I made a floor bench last year as well. I squared up the ends so I could reference off of any of the bench surfaces. I will stand my bench on its side often, to provide a higher work surface, or to clamp a board to it, so I can rip it. Another floor bench would be very helpful, to support larger pieces, or to stack on top of each other to provide a taller work surface.

I also made a shooting board based on probably the same videos you have seen. It works very well, since you have the freedom to change angle of attack, of the plane. The fence is housed in a through sliding dovetail. The side and back piece (behind the fence), are glued on. I plan to make a new shooting board with a longer back piece, to support the plane better.
Thank you sir!
That's exactly what I've been looking for!
Gadge

Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:34 pm

Hi Djwong,

I admit I'm a bit thick but I haven't seen a shooting board like that before and don't understand how it works. I'd be grateful if you could explain for me.
djwong
Deshi

Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:30 pm

Hi Gadge,

The best explanation is to look at this video. The shooting board is used at 9:20 on the timeline.

I also have a conventional ramped shooting board that I use with a bevel up Jack plane. I prefer the Japanese style one. With both, shooting end grain is still hard work, but the Japanese one lets me change the angle of approach easily. I am not sure this makes shooting end grain easier. It may be that changing hand positions on the plane just delays fatigue.
Paul Atzenweiler
Deshi

Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:29 pm

DJWONG,
I've watched that video many times and always find it to be a motivation to make something. I love the bench and hope you post pics/video of it being used.
Brian
Deshi

Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:29 pm

I love those videos as well, I always find it an inspiration. The fellow works quickly, but just very very effectively and he moves from one task to the next with inherent confidence.
Gadge

Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:57 pm

Hi Djwong,

Thanks for the link to the video. I couldn't see how it would work well without the planing step. I suppose that's why the side is so deep: to give a vertical landing outside the blade area.

Return to “Your Recent work”