Back to the basics

Here's a place for forum members to share pictures of their recent work outside of the study group projects.
Brian
Deshi

Re: Back to the basics

Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:14 am

Nice work!

I've not made these, but instead the rising dovetail, which works on a similar principal.

Adding a stretcher to the assembly makes things interesting. :D
Jon B
Sweeper of Floors, Maker of Tea

Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:30 pm

Nice job Daruma, I've never attempted this type of joint myself but I can imagine the challenges involved. I've also never really come across any information on executing twisted dovetails either, it's definitely not a common joint here in the US.
Daruma wrote:My own experience with this joint started about six months ago when I was given these two pictures and told to give it a go. No instruction on layout was given.
I like your teachers method :)
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:15 pm

You might be interested in this piece from 2012:

http://thecarpentryway.blogspot.com/201 ... dence.html

You're right that the twisted dovetail is tricky to execute cleanly. It also suffers a lot from short grain issues, so you have to be careful.

In this piece from 2003~4 I used the twisted dovetail for cabinet plinth corner, A plinth which was meant to look like a continuation of the existing baseboard in the house:
_MG_1594 copy-small.jpg
_MG_1594 copy-small.jpg (295.44 KiB) Viewed 3233 times
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:36 pm

Daruma wrote:Chris, can you shed some light on how to use the quote feature properly?
One way is to click 'Quote' at the bottom right of a post you wish to quote. Then the editing page will appear with the language you wish to quote shown. You can modify what is contained between those two markers - remove any content not relevant.

The other way is to cut and paste the quote into the text editing box. If you wish to show that you are quoting something, then all you need to do is highlight that text and click the 'Quote' button on the page and it will wrap quote and /quote tags around it.

Does that make sense?

Return to “Your Recent work”