House Sign

Here's a place for forum members to share pictures of their recent work outside of the study group projects.
Brian
Deshi

Re: House Sign

Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:09 am

Really nice work Derek!

I've gotten a comment on the 'inlays' that I use, lol.
Yxoc

Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:34 am

Thanks Brian, I appreciate your comments.

It sure is sobering to realise how far removed most people are from any kind of manufacturing/construction and can't deduce how basic structures stay together. The benefits of a 'services' economy are overstated in my view.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:00 am

Yes, I find it humorous to read online discussions among woodworkers about how skinny to make dovetail pins when the vast amount of consumers no longer recognize a dovetail of any type as a meaningful sort of thing.

Just think about the number of folks who rarely even handle wood in any form. Garden implement handles are often fiberglass these days, and kitchen utensils, cutting boards, etc., are plastic. Kids swing aluminum baseball bats, fiberglass hockey sticks, fiberglass bows and arrows, and so forth. Few schools have wood shop classes these days. People just don't have nearly the same visceral connection or experience of wood in their lives anymore, so it has become alien to them.

"Did you cut that with a laser?"

Return to “Your Recent work”