Butler's Desk - Build

Here's a place for forum members to share pictures of their recent work outside of the study group projects.
Brian
Deshi

Re: Butler's Desk - Build

Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:04 am

Brian
Deshi

Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:05 am

Thanks Chris, weird...seems to work fine now.

Here are the other two;

Chris Hall
Site Admin

Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:16 am

A stopped and coved groove - what tool did you use for that? (I don't care if you used a router - just curious)
Brian
Deshi

Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:14 am

I used an in-sweep gouge along with using my finger as a fence. I conceded to using sandpaper, however, to remove the undulations.

Electric routers make me incredibly nervous at this juncture. If I had to replace any of those drawer fronts it would ruin my efforts as they would not match as part of a single board used to make the cabinet face.
Brian
Deshi

Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:49 am

Good morning! I'm on the home stretch now, wrapping up what's left to complete the Butler's desk. I've finished installing the lock for the desk drawer and detailed the installation here;

https://brianholcombewoodworker.com/201 ... lers-desk/

Click the link above to see the entire post.

I hope this might come in handy for those of you installing full mortise locks into cabinetry, of which there are not many (if any) tutorials online.

jamie shard
Raw Log Import

Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:58 am

So clean, and the wood grain going from the large panels to the drawers is great!
Brian
Deshi

Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:43 pm

Thank you!
Brian
Deshi

Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:53 am

Good morning! The butler's desk is nearing completion, but there are a few details left to finish, the primary one which has been lingering in my mind for quite a while is the stay for the desktop. While historical examples leave it out, I've been nervous that the desk could be damaged by opening it and letting it flop down without the supporting drawer extended.

In order to counter that I've begun building a stay out of 360 brass using a Bridgeport mill and some basic hand tools.

https://brianholcombewoodworker.com/201 ... -hardware/

Click the above link to see the full story.

I can't post the images, wordpress keeps them at full size...
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:00 am

Excellent work Brian! It's jolly nice to have a mill, isn't it?

In regards to files, I can say one thing I learned about when on the Ford Hallam class a year or so back: Magicut files. They are really quite awesome. I have obtained a set of them now. Here's a link:

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/nich ... le-14.aspx
Brian
Deshi

Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:41 am

Thank you! Absolutely, it's really nice to just put what's in your mind down in metal rather than to search for it. I think I honestly spent more time searching online and buying/returning things that wouldn't work than I actually spent metal working, lol.

Thanks for the rec on the files, I will buy some of those! I am certainly in need of some fast material removal files. I bought one from Grobet USA and it's not great.

Nicholson seems to have upped their game in some departments, the precision files are nicholson and pretty much just as good as the Iridium (Corradi) that I have for auger bits.

Return to “Your Recent work”