Live Edge Tsuridana

Here's a place for forum members to share pictures of their recent work outside of the study group projects.
Brian
Deshi

Live Edge Tsuridana

Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:02 pm

Good morning! I'm building a live edge shelf for a modern Japanese style home. In this post I flatten and thickness the slab using hand tools.

https://brianholcombewoodworker.com/201 ... tsuridana/

I look forward to your comments.

Cheers
Brian
John Whitley
Deshi

Re: Live Edge Tsuridana

Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:54 pm

I'm eager to see how this build goes, Brian. It'll be good food for thought. I've been bored, or maybe just disappointed, with most live-edge pieces I've run across for some time. Recently I've come to suspect that part of that is (especially here in the Pacific NW) live-edge work has become increasingly trendy. I encounter a lot of it in the wild, and the quality varies hugely across materials, execution, and suitability of design to task. So now I'm on alert for any live edge work that stands out as I attempt to tease apart those qualities and answer for myself "what makes (or breaks) a really great piece of live-edge furniture?"
Brian
Deshi

Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:47 pm

Thanks John!

I agree completely! I was originally drawn to live edge furniture because it was the furniture which really changed my perspective on the made world. I walked into a room outfitted with a Minguren desk by Ru Amagasu and I have to say, even as a teenager I knew it would forever live in my mind.

However, currently slab furniture is often slap-dash and it becomes much more difficult to differentiate one's self from the every-day version of slab furniture. I think doing so means bringing it back to its core, which is a nice piece of wood supported by an architectural base. That architectural base is grounded in timber framing which means that it should incorporate joinery. So, rather than make it grander, which is the direction I see it going most often, I prefer to maintain simplicity and drive toward the ideal form that I see in my mind.

Cheers
Brian
Brian
Deshi

Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:34 am

Good morning! The Live Edge Tsuridana is now complete and awaits installation;

https://brianholcombewoodworker.com/201 ... -complete/

I hope that you will check out my post, and I look forward to your comments.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:31 am

I think it came out nicely Brian. Sounds like you've found a supportive client.
Brian
Deshi

Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:58 am

Thanks Chris! Absolutely, they're highly encouraging.

Return to “Your Recent work”