Tea House Garden Bench

Here's a place for forum members to share pictures of their recent work outside of the study group projects.
Brian
Deshi

Tea House Garden Bench

Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:06 pm

Yxoc

Re: Tea House Garden Bench

Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:06 am

G'Day Brian,
The garden bench is coming along very nicely, It's nice to see traditional Japanese joinery incorporated into furniture. But I wanted to say that I saw your tea house chair for the first time and it is a charming piece! I am a fan of American style windsor chairs and their various derivatives. A very innovative undercarriage design, I thought. Thanks for sharing it.

Regards

Derek
Brian
Deshi

Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:36 pm

Thanks Derek,

I very much appreciate the thoughtful comments. The Tea House pieces have been very enjoyable to build and I'm lucky to have a client who has given me plenty of freedom to be creative.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:33 pm

It's very nice to have supportive client, both in terms of making the projects possible, and in allowing the artisan space to develop their ideas.
Brian
Deshi

Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:42 pm

Absolutely, he enjoyed the look of the original version of this bench but when I mentioned making changes to eliminate many of the things I didn't like about the original bench he was all for it. I actually delivered the bench last friday and it was a really encouraging experience, he was very happy with the changes I made to the proportion of the bench and the joinery.
Brian
Deshi

Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:12 pm

The Tea House Garden Bench is now completed, please have a read. I look forward to your comments.

https://brianholcombewoodworker.com/201 ... -complete/
nyamo_iaint
Raw Log Import

Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:42 am

G'day Brian,
Brian wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:12 pm
The Tea House Garden Bench is now completed, please have a read. I look forward to your comments.

https://brianholcombewoodworker.com/201 ... -complete/
I commented there, but have a query here regarding the feet.

I was curious about the size of the feet. I would imagine that you would get quite a large amount of weight being transferred through quite a small surface area. Do you think there may be problems with this, not just to the feet, but perhaps to the surface it is resting on? Particularly if you have a few people sitting on it.

I guess making larger feet would be quite wasteful of the brass though.

Iain (not a metallurgist or expert in mechanical forces)
Brian
Deshi

Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:02 am

Thanks Ian, that is a good question. I made the bar stock 1/4" so you have a thread engagement of 1/4" or 5 threads in this case per foot. The threads are 1/4-20. Given that there are 6 feet in total each pair would be carrying a load of no more than 1.5 persons or maybe an extreme maximum of 500lbs so each bolt needs to carry a maximum of 250lbs each.

Given the kind of wimpy fasteners I see in chairs I thought I was going overkill.
John Whitley
Deshi

Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:27 pm

Brian wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:02 am
Given that there are 6 feet in total each pair would be carrying a load of no more than 1.5 persons or maybe an extreme maximum of 500lbs so each bolt needs to carry a maximum of 250lbs each.

Given the kind of wimpy fasteners I see in chairs I thought I was going overkill.

I think what Iain was getting at wasn't fastener strength, but rather the force between the brass feet and the floor. It's hard to tell from the photo, but the brass leveler feet appear to have a small contact surface relative to most commercial leveler feet I've encountered. (But they are definitely gorgeous!)
Brian
Deshi

Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:10 pm

Ah, I see. Yes, it's about 1/2" diameter on the feet. They're on the small side, but on stone and concrete they have been quite fine. I might want something bigger for a wooden floor, in fact I've used 3/4" plastic capped thumb screws for wooden floors.

Return to “Your Recent work”