Tochi bookmatch

Here's a place for forum members to share pictures of their recent work outside of the study group projects.
Brian
Deshi

Re: Tochi bookmatch

Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:30 pm

That is a fine table, neatly designed. Does it show the dovetail for the two outside stretchers on the opposing side?

I've taken the approach of using a heavier board then rabbeting back the edge so that the dovetail does not reveal on the edge. I liked the effect but it can be impractical.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:05 am

Brian wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:30 pm
That is a fine table, neatly designed. Does it show the dovetail for the two outside stretchers on the opposing side?
I would presume so. If you look at the plan view sketch, it shows the outer battens aligned to one edge, with the middle batten aligned to the opposite edge, and the photo shows that side, with only the middle batten's dovetail showing.

If you don't want a dovetail to show quite so obviously, there are options for dealing with that without recourse to rebating the lower portion of a thick board edge back.
Brian
Deshi

Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:38 pm

Thanks Chris, not sure how I missed that.

I think perhaps the full blind is nice but not ideal. I
Like your hammer head type as well.

I like the rabbet and setback dovetails but of course they do present issue of needing to procure heavier stock.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:55 pm

What about grain-matching plugs?
Brian
Deshi

Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:08 pm

Grain matched plugs are a good idea.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:50 pm

Daruma wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:57 pm
Some people seem to be more impressed if their left clues as to how an item was made as opposed to being left completely in the dark.
And this is always, I find, a question to wrestle with in design. I have come to see that the vast majority of folks simply don't notice most details on my furniture, not even other furniture makers.

The matching grain plugs are elegant and quiet, and to execute them with high craftsmanship means they are very hard to spot, so does one:

- hope that the skilled execution is noticed by the client?
- hope that the skilled execution is not noticed by the client?

Maybe if you want them to be noticed more readily, they should be cut less than perfectly, perhaps? I'm kidding*

And if the client does not spot these clues, then are they going to feel some disappointment themselves? Should the maker take a moment to point out the near-invisible detail of the well-fitted plug and explain what it 'means'?

It's like everyone pulls open a drawer to see if dovetails are there. Whether those dovetails are cut well or poorly, by hand or by machine, seems to have become far less of a concern that the 'signifying mark' which the dovetail has become. If the corner of a box were made with concealed miter dovetails, this indicates the highest ideal of craftsmanship from a bygone age, however we now live in an age where the identical look is produced in minutes with biscuits, dowels, or domino.

* I joke about deliberately making the joinery worse to make it more obvious, however, consider Greene and Greene interiors with all the strongly expressed joinery, done using a technique (rounding over mortise openings, etc., I would normally otherwise consider a cover up for poorly-cut joints.
Brian
Deshi

Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:13 pm

For me, personally, I like plain joinery to be hidden most of the time. I suppose in some way that is due to the fact that I know how it was made and often do feel that it can be distracting. I like more complicated joinery or more interesting joinery exposed, the scarf joint for instance.

The feedback I've gotten from clients is mixed, they generally do shy away from wanting completely hidden joinery, even my most reserved clients do still want to see some hints as to the execution and most do want to see a great majority of the joinery. I have one client who does not care either way.

There is a certain assurance in seeing the joinery in today's environment, especially with custom made furniture. It's nice to know that it is actually there.
Brian
Deshi

Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:24 pm

Sorry for the double reply.

I suppose the shame of it, is that it is indeed from a bygone era. One thing that always struck me is when I heard from a prominent member of SAPFM that many (but definitely not all) period furniture makers delete the important hidden dovetails in case goods and at the legs of the furniture they make. Replacing them with either dominos or biscuits or what not. I found that painful to hear, in a way, having assumed period reproductions, those done at a high level, to be more or less and honest representation of the piece as intended by the original designer.

This is why, so often, I feel that I default to showing joinery even when I would like to hide it.

There are many instances in fact where this type of stuff really surprises me, sometimes they seem to take efforts which are more difficult than simply cutting the joinery. Hidden dovetails are one of them, I find them easier to make, to some scale, than plain miters which then require some reinforcement. They're much easier to make than cleanly made fully exposed or large half blind dovetails.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:54 am

Brian wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:24 pm

I suppose the shame of it, is that it is indeed from a bygone era.

This is why, so often, I feel that I default to showing joinery even when I would like to hide it.
This is largely where i have come to as well. Clients never come to me looking for a piece of furniture with as much high class concealed joinery as possible. It is not something that enters into their buying decision.

And you're correct that exposed joinery is often more demanding to execute cleanly (and usually stronger) than the concealed varieties.

Return to “Your Recent work”