Suggestions for Project 3?

What's on your mind?
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Suggestions for Project 3?

Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:15 pm

I have several ideas for the third fundamentals project, and would be interested to know if members have a particular idea as to what they'd like to tackle next. I'm open to all suggestions, but can't promise I'll necessarily follow any of them! :)
djwong
Deshi

Re: Suggestions for Project 3?

Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:08 am

Chris,

A furniture piece would be great.

I would be interested in a version of your mizuya project. The aspect that interests me most are the construction details of the carcase. The project could be scaled to match different levels of difficulty. Perhaps you could offer a version that divides the top and bottom sections into separate pieces, for those members that do not wish to build the entire case. More standard types of drawer construction could be substituted for your glue-less construction. Glass or a solid panel could take the place of the lacework panel.

A simpler project could be a small storage tansu. Here is an example image from the Berkeley Mills website:

David
Yxoc

Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:01 pm

Chris and Members,
I haven't been building the Woodworking Fundamentals projects so I don't feel that I have 'voting rights' for project suggestions, though I have thoroughly enjoyed seeing the projects take form.

In light of the feedback from your questionnaire, it seems that subscribers are at varying levels of ability/experience. It is hard to be all things to all people but I was thinking that maybe you could alternate the project line between useable end projects (such as the furniture projects David is suggesting) and much simpler projects that aim to develop basic technique and understanding. For the latter group I was thinking something as simple as a single joint, even the corner joints that you plan to use on your upcoming Mizuya build (or even simpler). The advantages of this approach would be that more capable members have something to 'dig their teeth' into whilst the less skilled folk would have something that looks achievable and less daunting. The simpler projects would require only a modest outlay in timber, so people could be ready to go without a great investment required in materials/time or money.

Looking forward to see what you guys build next.

Cheers

Derek
charlie
Sweeper of Floors, Maker of Tea

Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:12 am

Shoji?
I like the idea of a small(ish) furniture project. (Your mizuya project would be uberwhelming.)
The sample joint exercise is a good idea, but I think I'd rather put some into a project.
Lonnie
Lurker

Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:07 pm

A few ideas that would be of interest to me:

-model involving the most basic of compound roof joinery.
-bed
-freestanding or sliding shoji
-house model?

Lonnie
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:07 pm

...model involving the most basic of compound roof joinery.
That would be the hopper - see TAJCD Volume II.

I'm not planning on doing any compound joinery in this section. If you're interested in that, then you might want to consider getting involved in the drawing study group.

Thanks for your suggestions!

~C
Lonnie
Lurker

Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:09 pm

Ok, thanks Chris. I'm just about through TAJCD Vol. I, and I'll consider the drawing group.

Lonnie
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:44 pm

Still thinking about the next project, and hoping to hear from more participants. There are 14 people in this group. :|
Koot
Raw Log Import

Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:59 pm

Perhaps something along the lines of a small end or night table (top approx 14"X16"?) with an upper and lower shelf, and height to suit. Strong but basic traditional right angle joinery that would compliment the design of the work. Optional design details for those wishing a greater challenge could be worked in. Just a suggestion.

Marv
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:55 am

Koot wrote:Perhaps something along the lines of a small end or night table (top approx 14"X16"?) with an upper and lower shelf, and height to suit. Strong but basic traditional right angle joinery that would compliment the design of the work. Optional design details for those wishing a greater challenge could be worked in. Just a suggestion.

Marv
Marv,

those are the lines I was thinking along actually...

Return to “General Discussion”