After the Andon

What's on your mind?
P&
P&C

Re: After the Andon

Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:51 am

My 2 cents are - model joints followed by floor mounted work table & the low trestles. The Tansu sounds great too especially after finishing the model joints, floor mounted work table & the trestles.

Been stuck in the MENA region trying to retire so I can spend more time making sawdust! My choices will show lack of time being able to work on the previous projects.

Paul
Timateo
Lurker

Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:40 pm

I wouldn't mind a nice coffee table with fewer but more complex joinery techniques.The tansu looks like a fun build, easily modified if needed and useful. Still chipping away at the andon but should be able to wrap it up soon. If your asking for a consensus on skill to gauge your projects than my vote is for the more technical side of joinery. I'd have to say that the projects so far have all been, not only a pleasure to build but extremely useful. A build that requires less time but more technique would be my vote and always something useful if you would be so kind.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:46 am

Thanks for the feedback one and all.

Okay, starting to lean towards doing a model joint or two, then we can look at making that tansu. Not cast in stone yet, but trending...
john verge

Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:30 pm

This all sounds promising. Looking forward to see what develops. Just a question for the loop here. I have seen representations of japanese soaker tubs which looked a lot like our stone ponds, with wedged sliding dovetails and hopper like in construction. I guess your dealing with a major lamination project to get the size pieces required to make a sizeable enough tub?
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:31 pm

Just a question for the loop here. I have seen representations of Japanese soaker tubs which looked a lot like our stone ponds, with wedged sliding dovetails and hopper like in construction. I guess your dealing with a major lamination project to get the size pieces required to make a sizable enough tub?
Not necessarily. The walls and floors of course will likely be coming from planks joined to one another along their edges, however a tongue and groove joint would probably be sufficient for water tightness between those planks. The corner joints would hold it all together. One could elect to edge glue the boards together, but I'm not convinced it is absolutely necessary.

For soaking tubs, perfect water tightness, while a sign of well-fitted parts, is not absolutely necessary. So long as water doesn't drain out rapidly, the tub only needs to maintain water level for the duration of the bathing. If the joints of the tub weep slightly when water is introduced to a dry tub, then the wood swelling generally takes care of the sealing issue.

I'm not a tub builder, so I'm sure there are some aspects I'm ignorant of here, but it seems to me that a functional decently water tight soaking tub could be made with little to no adhesive, if the parts are well cut. Another option would be fitting some sort of gasketing to the joints, a material of some sort that would swell and seal in the presence of moisture.
john verge

Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:53 pm

Similar to the seam stuffing that wooden boat builders would use. I believe the material used is cotton. Not important in a tub application i agree. Nothing wrong with a bit of seepage and swelling of the wood would definitely deal with most of it. Thanks for that. John
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:06 pm

Suggest you make yourself a hopper as a waterstone pond so you can gauge for yourself the effectiveness of good fitting joinery to seal up the container. Seeing is believing and the smaller project will increase your confidence as far as making a larger tub.

I've always preferred the coopered tubs myself to the square-cornered ones.
charlie
Sweeper of Floors, Maker of Tea

Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:21 pm

Chris,
I think I can foresee the completion of the andon in the near future. :)
I've been working on it for about a year now.
I like the furniture options: side table, coffee table, display stand, or small display cabinet. Hall table?
The tansu also looks interesting. It doesn't seem to have all the tiny parts of the andon.
"The maker not only makes the piece, but the piece makes the maker."
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:41 pm

charlie wrote:Chris,
I think I can foresee the completion of the andon in the near future. :)
I've been working on it for about a year now.
Looking forward to seeing your project! I'm also getting pretty close
charlie wrote:I like the furniture options: side table, coffee table, display stand, or small display cabinet. Hall table?
The tansu also looks interesting. It doesn't seem to have all the tiny parts of the andon.
Oh, I hear you big time about the tiny parts of the andon - that's been one of the challenges to the project.

charlie wrote:"The maker not only makes the piece, but the piece makes the maker."
Some of them simply kick my ass.
Lonnie
Lurker

Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:13 pm

Hi everyone, I haven't yet been able to take on any of the projects so far, although I now have dry, stable AYC stock for the andon. I think it will be a challenging project for me but I'm looking forward to it. I live in Prince Rupert BC, and I'm currently building tables and chairs for a restaurant and air drying red cedar timbers for a studio I'll be building over the next few years. I think a model joint or two is a good idea and I'd like to follow along with that.
Lonnie

Return to “General Discussion”