After the Andon

What's on your mind?
Chris Hall
Site Admin

After the Andon

Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:21 am

Things are moving along with the Andon, at least as far as my build goes, and I imagine wrapping it up in a few more weeks. That consideration leads to another: what will the next project be?

Here's you chance to put forward your suggestions as to the next project. One member is leaving the study group this month because he found the andon build too difficult, and I'd rather avoid turning people off by making the projects too demanding. That said, I think it is also important that a project be challenging enough. Without feedback from members, it is awfully hard for me to gauge exactly what they might consider too easy, just right or too challenging, so I'm left to guess. And of course in any group there will be members throughout the spectrum of skill sets, so my aim is to find the sweet spot, so to speak.

Some ideas I have off the top of my head:

- a piece of furniture like a side table, coffee table, display stand, or small display cabinet, etc..
- a study of a few Japanese traditional joints (model joints)
- a Japanese floor-mounted work table
- a pair of low Japanese (simple) trestles

You tell me - what would you like to work on? Keep in mind that picking a large project requiring a lot of material may not be to the liking of all members. One of the reasons I chose the andon as a project is that it requires a relatively small amount of material and employs no compound joinery.

I'm all ears...
Matt J
Hopper I
Hopper I

Re: After the Andon

Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:39 am

I've not been participating in the builds for several reasons, lack of workspace and shortage of free time being two big ones (my wife will NOT let me work in the kitchen!). It would be nice to have a smaller, can-do project that could be completed in a few evenings or a weekend for a change of pace. Model joints or low trestles sound good to me. I'm curious what the floor mounted work table would look like, but I'm not sure if my body is up for working on the floor.

I do get a lot of value from following along with the larger projects though. Much respect to those members making chips and shavings. And thank you again Chris for all your work! I've definitely been able to apply some techniques I learned here to my 'regular' carpentry day job.

-Matt
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:20 am

Well it's been a month since I first posted this, and I had imagined there might be more input. There have only been views, so I'm beginning to suspect that people aren't finding this section, and haven't realized that there is a new post here (?).

Matt,

I understand your wife's reluctance to let you work in the kitchen. It was a difficult negotiation with my wife, and she certainly wasn't too happy about it but we managed. hope you can set up a space soon. I know there are other members here with challenges in terms of their workspace, myself included.
john verge

Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:20 pm

Just picked up on this thread, whoops. First off i had thought of doing a japanese soaking tub. As i have no prior knowledge of the construction involved this may be off topic. So a study of a few japanes joints would be fun followed by a piece of furniture, such as a coffee table. For me the coffee table would be worthwhile as my neighbour would like me to build her one and wont accept it unless she pays. So... Provided the design chosen works for her, i may be getting payed for such a project. But i'm easy on this: • study of japanese joints
• coffee table
Thanks, john.
john verge

Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:36 pm

By the way, this is an example of what my neighbour was looking for, early west coast chunk , ha ha. Our design/build thread, assuming that we do a coffee table, will probably look nothing like my example and i am fully good with that. Look forward to the process. John
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (93.22 KiB) Viewed 7281 times
Dan McC
Raw Log Import

Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:27 pm

Chris Hall wrote:. . . I'm beginning to suspect that people aren't finding this section, and haven't realized that there is a new post here (?).
That is true in my case, I have my bookmark set to the andon project, I have not visited this part of the forums probably since before the andon started. I have not made much headway on my own andon in any case, due to various things beyond my control, as well as deciding to build a small table.

I would vote for something practical for the next project, so a piece of furniture like a side table or end table would do it for me. I was just thinking the other morning as I was watching some Olympic hockey, that it would be nice to have an end table right beside the couch to put my coffee mug or a plate etc on.

Also, I am considering something like this display cabinet at some point, so doing that as part of this group would be perfect for me. (This cabinet was also on the back of Fine Woodworking #161)

http://www.crfinefurniture.com/1pages/g ... ngshw.html

Since I have a lot of catching up to do on the andon, I would not object to you covering some small project(s) for the next while. I would probably continue to focus on the andon during that time, then join in again when the next more substantial project got underway.

Dan
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:57 pm

How about - just another idea - a small tansu along this sorta line?:
tansu.jpg
tansu.jpg (194.83 KiB) Viewed 7276 times
Could be configured individually as a coffee table or a side table, or hall table - the proportions can be played with while keeping it much the same overall. It's a joined-frame box, and a couple of sliding doors. It would take a while to build, but wouldn't require a huge amount of material. Slightly chunky stock for the frames likely 10/4 or 12/4.
john verge

Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:23 am

I like the look of the tansu piece. The heavy nature of the frame appeals to me and overall kind of a neat looking piece. A build like this would be a lot of fun i think. Nice idea! Plans could be shaping up. John.
ka
kakashi

Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:05 pm

I didn't realise you posted this but here's my two p's worth. As with a lot of others here, I'm without a work area right now. I'm hoping to resolve that issue as soon as it's warms up a bit that I can work with the garage door up.

Joint models and the tansu work for me.
charlie
Sweeper of Floors, Maker of Tea

Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:45 pm

Chris,
Didn't know this in the works.
On vaca at the moment.
Will reply this weekend.

Return to “General Discussion”