Poll: Next Joinery Study Group Project

What's on your mind?

Which Project would you like to tackle next?

Poll ended at Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:47 am

Joint Model 2
7%
Saw Cabinet
50%
Planing Beam
21%
Sharpening stone dai
14%
Other (please elaborate in comments)
7%

Total votes: 14
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Poll: Next Joinery Study Group Project

Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:47 am

This poll runs for 30 days...
Chris Pyle
Deshi

Re: Poll: Next Joinery Study Group Project

Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:26 am

This is a difficult question as I'd like to see all of these tackled at some point.

Do you have a rough idea for how each would look? Are there pictures online or would most of these involved a complete re-design?

I can't imagine what you have in store for the sharpening stones or a "deluxified" planing beam.

Ultimately I chose the saw cabinet because I have too many saws sitting in piles or dangling from a screw in the wall. Do you plan on making the saw cabinet portable? So that it might be packed up like the toolbox and transported on site. Or is this a wall hanging saw cabinet?

I'm never short of questions.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:44 pm

Chris Pyle wrote:This is a difficult question as I'd like to see all of these tackled at some point.

Do you have a rough idea for how each would look? Are there pictures online or would most of these involved a complete re-design?

I can't imagine what you have in store for the sharpening stones or a "deluxified" planing beam.

Ultimately I chose the saw cabinet because I have too many saws sitting in piles or dangling from a screw in the wall. Do you plan on making the saw cabinet portable? So that it might be packed up like the toolbox and transported on site. Or is this a wall hanging saw cabinet?

I'm never short of questions.
I was thinking of a wall-hung saw cabinet.

I have designs in mind for all these projects, and am just trying to get a feel for where people's inclinations might be.

The planing beam requires a good size chunk of timber, and that might be a problem for some folks. The sharpening stone holders are meant to fit atop a dedicated sink as a sharpening station, so that might not work for too many people. I'm thinking the saw cabinet or the joint model might be a suitable narrowing of focus.
De
Dennis

Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:09 am

Chris, I'm not in the study group, but taking the liberty to comment, what about considering the project of a wooden sink for sharpening purposes. No doubt that you can come up with an interesting project to fit the requirements.

I'm linking this idea to the sharpening discussion, where folks are considering the various set ups, what works best, etc. It occurs that the sink could either be low for squatting or wall mounted or possibly on a stand. I like wall mounted standing in front myself. I have yet to see a proper metal or ceramic sink that worked very well for sharpening. Thirty some years ago I made a Redwood box about four inches deep for a wall mount. It has a block that I put in that sits under the stone being used, that elevates it and gets it out of the residue. The stone butts up against another removable block so is not pressed directly up against the wall of the sink. It leans ever so slightly towards a drain plug with a hose that runs outside, or it could just drain into a bucket (if off the ground} The sink is large enough to hold my separate reservoir of water that sits next to the elevation block. and it has enough extra space to hold more stones. Everything is at a convenient working height and moving stones around is easy peasy. I also have a shelf above the affair to hold additional stones. With this method water doesn't slop around either, get on me or go anywhere else outside the sink.The sink doesn't at all interfere with sharpening. Going on like 35 years and the thing has never leaked. I modelled after the sharpening sinks in the shop where I worked. There were three of them, all basically the same type with water flowing endlessly at each station from a well. A tap would be nice if folks can arrange it, I just go fetch a bucket of water. It drains well enough, but every now and then I do a proper cleaning that scrapes out all the sediment that may be sticking around. It only takes a couple minutes. I can stand the stones up on edge against a support on the sink side to drain them after use. This is an elaborate description of just a box, really.

It occurs that some of your students may not be able to have a dedicated full time place for sharpening, so sink size could be a concern. Perhaps they could modify size for their needs.

Anyway, just an idea and I don't at all know if it fits into your considerations on potential projects. A good sharpening containment area can serve many years and is nice to play with to customise, add a cool light over it if possible, and it creates some good atmosphere as well. Thanks for allowing me to mention the idea.
Brian
Deshi

Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:52 pm

I don't know what's involved in being part of the study group but I would like to partake in the sharpening station.
Cole
Raw Log Import

Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:59 pm

Dennis wrote:Chris, I'm not in the study group, but taking the liberty to comment, what about considering the project of a wooden sink for sharpening purposes. No doubt that you can come up with an interesting project to fit the requirements.

I'm linking this idea to the sharpening discussion, where folks are considering the various set ups, what works best, etc. It occurs that the sink could either be low for squatting or wall mounted or possibly on a stand. I like wall mounted standing in front myself. I have yet to see a proper metal or ceramic sink that worked very well for sharpening. Thirty some years ago I made a Redwood box about four inches deep for a wall mount. It has a block that I put in that sits under the stone being used, that elevates it and gets it out of the residue. The stone butts up against another removable block so is not pressed directly up against the wall of the sink. It leans ever so slightly towards a drain plug with a hose that runs outside, or it could just drain into a bucket (if off the ground} The sink is large enough to hold my separate reservoir of water that sits next to the elevation block. and it has enough extra space to hold more stones. Everything is at a convenient working height and moving stones around is easy peasy. I also have a shelf above the affair to hold additional stones. With this method water doesn't slop around either, get on me or go anywhere else outside the sink.The sink doesn't at all interfere with sharpening. Going on like 35 years and the thing has never leaked. I modelled after the sharpening sinks in the shop where I worked. There were three of them, all basically the same type with water flowing endlessly at each station from a well. A tap would be nice if folks can arrange it, I just go fetch a bucket of water. It drains well enough, but every now and then I do a proper cleaning that scrapes out all the sediment that may be sticking around. It only takes a couple minutes. I can stand the stones up on edge against a support on the sink side to drain them after use. This is an elaborate description of just a box, really.

It occurs that some of your students may not be able to have a dedicated full time place for sharpening, so sink size could be a concern. Perhaps they could modify size for their needs.

Anyway, just an idea and I don't at all know if it fits into your considerations on potential projects. A good sharpening containment area can serve many years and is nice to play with to customise, add a cool light over it if possible, and it creates some good atmosphere as well. Thanks for allowing me to mention the idea.
I like this idea, but I would rather have one on a stand.
Chris Pyle
Deshi

Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:37 pm

Cole wrote:
Dennis wrote:Chris, I'm not in the study group, but taking the liberty to comment, what about considering the project of a wooden sink for sharpening purposes. No doubt that you can come up with an interesting project to fit the requirements.

I like this idea, but I would rather have one on a stand.
The sharpening station is a very good idea and the stand is a nice throw-in. Since Chris does his sharpening on a Starrett granite block, he may have little use for the stand but I'll echo your thought.

Perhaps this is another good reason for me to try and finish the first couple carpentry drawing projects: a small stool and stand for sharpening would come in very handy.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:26 pm

After a week, seven have responded. Most surprising to me personally is that no one so far is voting for the joint model #2. I was thinking that those joinery models would be of interest to more people, but I was dead wrong. Re-calibrating....
Paul Atzenweiler
Deshi

Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:18 pm

I actually loved the joint model, but the saw stand is something I would put to use as soon as it was finished. It was just a matter of given the choice of "A" or "B" I panicked and chose "B".
Sal Cangialosi
Lurker

Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:33 pm

+1 on Dennis' suggestion for a sharpening tray/sink

Return to “General Discussion”