After Joint 2

What's on your mind?
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Re: After Joint 2

Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:14 am

Chris,

I'm glad you're interested in more joinery study projects. I had dropped the ball in regards to this as I was perceiving a loss of momentum. And now I am a bit too busy to take it up again. I'd like to at some point...
Chris Pyle
Deshi

Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:26 am

No problem, there is enough material for me to complete to keep busy until you are ready.
michael langford
Raw Log Import

Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:41 am

Several years ago, my friend Matt Ross built a small cherry wood table using a rather tricky corner joint. I recall seeing the model, three sticks meeting in a mitered corner with mortices and tenons inside. He was planning a larger table in bubinga, but unfortunately he died unexpectedly this September.
Meanwhile, I have the responsibility for his Japanese tool collection, which is extensive. Twenty-odd boxed planes, dozens of chisels, hammers (he had been buying from Iida in the last few years), saws. Most are new (I think...), but there are some old planes, axes, timber saws...I haven't begun a proper inventory.
My intention is to treat this as a collection of artifacts: document everything, provide optimum storage and security, determine provenance and value. Ultimately, there are a lot more tools than I can ever use, and I would like to see them move into capable hands. I am currently building some doors for his house, and we are discussing how to go about dealing with the collection.

Since the shop is unheated (there's a wood stove, but nobody to tend it), I am concerned about the effects of moisture and humidity, particularly with the planes. The chisels will be oiled and wrapped in acid-free paper, and packed into wooden boxes. Not sure how to handle saws...anyway, I'm open to suggestions.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:28 am

There is a special corrosion inhibiting paper you can buy for wrapping things like saws:

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/packa ... gQodke0N9A

You can also place a strip of VCI paper between the main blade and sub-blade, or, better yet, remove the blades from the block and wrap them in the paper completely.

Return to “General Discussion”