Preliminaries - what goes in the box?

Chris Hall
Site Admin

Re: Preliminaries - what goes in the box?

Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:05 pm

timoore wrote:How does the grain run in the floor? I can see that it is drawn running the length of the chest in SketchUp, but I've heard of it being done cross-ways and then ship-lapping the boards together.
As a general rule, you want the direction in which the wood moves the most to be aligned to the shorter dimension. So, in the drawing, the floor board is illustrated as I would suggest the grain should run - the end grain of the board is against the short sides of the box. The Japanese often do drawer bottoms with the grain running the other way but I've always thought that a bad idea -feel free to experiment however!
Does the floor actually need much in the way of support, other than on the edges?
It entirely depends upon how heavy the contents are, and what wood you are using. I don't like boxes with flimsy bottoms, so I perhaps go slightly towards overkill in specifying things. Also, the thickness of the panels relates not only to the loads that are placed upon the panel, but to whether there is joinery. If there was no joinery involved, most of the dimensions of this box in terms of individual piece thicknesses would slim down - probably the bottom panel and sides would be .375" (9.6mm) instead of 0.5" (12.7mm). If you were using wenge or bubinga panels, then the same slimming would be wise - if you used basswood, or soft pine, probably you might want to think about thickening the parts by 1/16" (1mm) or so.
Mathieu
Triple 2
Triple 2

Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:13 am

Rogu wrote:I suppose that the lower chamber could have two rails running along the inside of the side panels. These would thicken the sides and add some stiffness. The tray could rest on those.

This could go up in steps and two layers of tool tray could be incorporated. A couple cross members could span across, too, I suppose.
This is exactly how i made my first toolbox, I would not do it again. This box is now used for measuring tools only and I never take it to site. I am not a fan of trays inside the toolbox. I made a sturdy tray which fits under or on top of my box and holds my tools next to where I work on site. Never put my tools on the floor but in the tray which is easily picked up and moved.
It's all personal preference I guess.
Would there be another possibility of having a few ribs on top of the bottom piece (like the soundboard of a guitar)? The longer tools could rest on them and the tray would be supported on side-runners again (points 1 and 3 are addressed)
Have done this as well but on the underside of the bottom. Two rails with small tennons into the sides and recessed into the bottom board. Realy increases strength which allowed me to use thin boards for the bottom, like Chris already mentioned. I like keeping the box light.

What I really like about Chris's design is the groove in the side where the lid slides into. The last pair I made looks quite similar to the design proposed, with the dovetailed rails and the short sides with the tennons. I am a little embarassed to admit I have four boxes already with handtools. It is going to be one more, a long one for yariganna, chona, nokogiri and hontsuki nomi.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:53 am

I am a little embarrassed to admit I have four boxes already with handtools.
You can't expect me to take a comment like that seriously without pictures.
Mathieu
Triple 2
Triple 2

Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:39 am

Not any time soon, they are on the other side of the planet. I travel with a small tool bag with a minimal tool set. ( still too much)
Picture follow as soon as I am reunited with them.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:49 am

You jet-set types are all the same..
Mathieu
Triple 2
Triple 2

Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:14 pm

Chris Hall wrote:You jet-set types are all the same..
Didn't know what it meant, i had to look it up.
"Jet set" is a journalistic term that was used to describe an international social group of wealthy people, organizing and participating all around the world in social activities that are unreachable to ordinary people."

The only part applicacable to me is "participating all around the world in social activities", but "wealthy people" or "unreachable to ordinary people". Nope not me.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:38 pm

Yikes,

sometimes a mild attempt to poke a little fun does backfire on a person. I was just joking around. You must admit though, you're well on your way to International Playboy status...

(That was a joke too!)
Ro
Rogu

Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:51 pm

"Jet set" is a journalistic term that was used to describe an international social group of wealthy people, organizing and participating all around the world in social activities that are unreachable to ordinary people."
Sounds pretty much like your average woodworker.
Mathieu
Triple 2
Triple 2

Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:12 pm

I am sorry, I am a little slow when it commes to humor sometimes. This has often led to great amusement of my colleagues.
But 'playboy' that is a word I easily understand and happily agree with.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:15 pm

Can we call you 'The Playboy' then? ;)

Return to “Project 1: The Tool Box”