Preliminaries - what goes in the box?

Chris Hall
Site Admin

Re: Preliminaries - what goes in the box?

Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:44 am

djwong wrote:In the case of my box, If I arrange to lift one end of the tray (with a finger hole), tilt, slide it over towards the other end, then pull it out, the angle of tilt would be around 17 degrees. Depending on how the chisels are held, I don't think that is enough to cause chisels to roll loose. A modified arrangement would have to be made to the tray supports to allow it to slide. Not the most elegant solution, but workable.
An interesting idea. It seems to me that other ways to pull out the tray would involve:

- a finger hole or lip at each end of the tray
- a leather strap
- a central pull handle (which is what I'm leaning towards)
- make the tray into a drawer which slides out the side of the box

Obviously whatever the lift device is, it needs to be something which does not interfere with the lid going on or off, as the lid is intended to fit directly on to top of the tray. That way the tray supports the middle of the lid and makes it even usable as a step.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:17 am

I've been doing some searching to see what sort of handles i can find, and looking for pocket door edge pulls has lead to a few possibilities.

This one is stainless and costs $6.00:
197062_family.jpg
197062_family.jpg (6.19 KiB) Viewed 10574 times
Find it at: http://www.knobsandhardware.com/pocket- ... 97062.html

Another one:
Lever-Edge-Pull-3HJH9_AS01.JPG
Lever-Edge-Pull-3HJH9_AS01.JPG (1.96 KiB) Viewed 10574 times
This one, which I kinda like, is only 0.75" wide and is solid brass:
biu_0465.151.jpg
biu_0465.151.jpg (7.7 KiB) Viewed 10574 times
It does require 1.62" depth, so no sure if that will work for my design.

It's available in a bunch of other finishes too, from brushed nickel to chrome, to polished brass. Available from:

http://www.handlesets.com/baldwin-0465- ... =615061243

Another one:
pocket-door-pull-handle-satin-nickel-plate.jpg
pocket-door-pull-handle-satin-nickel-plate.jpg (14.63 KiB) Viewed 10574 times
From a UK site: http://www.interiordoorsuk.com/ironmong ... kel-plate/

This one is a bit smaller, and only 3.5" long and only requires 0.75" depth - and it is spring-loaded:
Pocket Door Edge pull with install instruc.jpg
Pocket Door Edge pull with install instruc.jpg (78.25 KiB) Viewed 10574 times
Available here: http://www.homebuildershardware.com/Poc ... -Pull.html

One that's a little slimmer, at 0.625":
gruppo_edge_pull.jpg
gruppo_edge_pull.jpg (39.14 KiB) Viewed 10572 times
Detail:
edge_pull.jpg
edge_pull.jpg (52.63 KiB) Viewed 10572 times
Available here: http://www.hangingdoorhardware.com/pocket.htm

Then there's this one which is a lot skinnier:
368063.jpg
368063.jpg (33.22 KiB) Viewed 10573 times
Available here: http://www.allaboutdoors.com/product_in ... _id=368063

Of course, then there's the whole "where's it made?" aspect, but hey, it's a few possibilities at least.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:38 pm

More slight revision to the design of the removable tray. I thickened up the central piece in the lower chisel rack so as to allow for a metal pull handle to be fitted. I also reconfigured the through tenon of that central piece so that it is horizontal rather than vertical:
道具箱 tray final 1a.jpg
道具箱 tray final 1a.jpg (292.32 KiB) Viewed 10560 times
That central batten is rebated at each end so that the tray above keys onto it and the top surface of the batten bears directly against the floor of the upper tray.

The upper tray nests on top, so to remove the entire tray, I pull out the small chisel tray first, then the main tray pull handle can be accessed. There is room on either side of the main tray for a 70 mm smoother, or a pair of smaller planes:
道具箱 tray final 2a.jpg
道具箱 tray final 2a.jpg (306.96 KiB) Viewed 10560 times
I should be able to carry 4~6 planes in the box and three rolls' worth of chisels.

I also moved the dovetail battens outward by 0.125" (3mm) each side, and made the caps 0.125" narrower, taking them to 2.625" wide:
道具箱 tray final 3a.jpg
道具箱 tray final 3a.jpg (141.73 KiB) Viewed 10560 times
The detail changes to the end caps, lid and battens gives the lid more purchase at the cap underside when the lid is closed, and makes the caps better at resisting a twisting load. Further, the narrowed caps give a 1/4" more room lengthwise for pulling the tray out. You can see in the drawing how the lid rests atop the tray, which makes the top of the box much more resistant to having weight put on it, and the lid in turn keeps the tray contents from wandering. I think the design is pretty much there as far as my tool box is concerned. I may do a few further tweaks to see is I can fit a couple of hammers to the box, but that's about it.
Jack_Ervin.

Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:37 pm

Chris,

I don't have all Japanese tools but I do have a start. I am going to build the main box close to the way you have it laid out as that will suit material I have, tools I have or am going to acquire, and the joinery laid out. Here are some of the tools that I will store in the box.
DSC01683.JPG
DSC01683.JPG (38.37 KiB) Viewed 10547 times
For the present the chisels shown at upper left are a set and will be stored in the box in which they came.
DSC01680.JPG
DSC01680.JPG (33.89 KiB) Viewed 10547 times
The group at the lower left (assorted bench/dovetail chisels) and right (long paring chisels) will be stored in rolls.
DSC01687.JPG
DSC01687.JPG (32.37 KiB) Viewed 10547 times
I have basswood from which I will build the box. It will live in my workshop as I have no plans to transport it to a job site.
As my time permits for this project, I may develop trays for these items but I will make provisions for internal trays long term.
I plan to work up a drawing with some dimension changes from the suggested design.

Regards,

Jack
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:30 pm

You're not exactly looking bereft of chisels there Jack! The basswood will be a very nice wood to work. I might get some too for the floor of my box, as I want something light in color. I'll see what they have a the local hardwood dealer tomorrow. I think building a tool box to accommodate an existing chisel tray is a good idea.
ya
yanai

Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:10 pm

toolbox double trays.tif
toolbox double trays.tif (325.12 KiB) Viewed 10527 times
I like the idea of keeping the chisels in a roll to minimize movement, but this can make for a more bulky arrangement in the box. I like the clean look of the separated spaces for the chisels as well, but what do you all think about the chisels bouncing around during transport? I think I would cringe whenever I hit a pothole.
6.jpg
6.jpg (80.53 KiB) Viewed 10527 times
The "hold downs" in this chisel box seems a little more secure, but I'm sure even this would allow for more movement than we would like.

Any other ideas or opinions on this?
Attachments
toolbox double trays.tiff
toolbox double trays.tiff (325.12 KiB) Viewed 10527 times
Mathieu
Triple 2
Triple 2

Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:54 pm

You sure don't want those nice Kiyohisa slicks hitting against each other but as longs that doesn't happen a little bit of movement is not going to matter much I suppose. You could come up with a solution of securing the chisels from any movement at all by locking them into place, but that would just mean another manoeuvre to get to the tool when you need it.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:26 pm

Or you could line the lid with thick felt or something similar so that when the lid was closed the chisels have nowhere to move...
Charles
Lurker

Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:30 pm

yanai wrote:
toolbox double trays.tif
I like the idea of keeping the chisels in a roll to minimize movement, but this can make for a more bulky arrangement in the box. I like the clean look of the separated spaces for the chisels as well, but what do you all think about the chisels bouncing around during transport? I think I would cringe whenever I hit a pothole.
6.jpg
The "hold downs" in this chisel box seems a little more secure, but I'm sure even this would allow for more movement than we would like.

Any other ideas or opinions on this?

http://www.carrycasesplus.com/custom-fo ... -c173.html

Perhaps foam inserts cut to the shape of each chisel/ tool being held in the tray .

In regards to the metal pull handle in the center of the tray ... a few things came to mind .
1) the tray will not be balanced as the weight of the tools in the tray will vary, picking up a tray weighted by tools by a single center pull may be inviting trouble.... this of course is completely untested and something that just came to mind when seeing this ... may be a perfectly viable solution .
2) Another concern I see with the metal pull in the center of the tray or being used in the tray at all is the possibility of sharpened tools edge making contact with the metal pull and causing damage to the edge which would mean more time resharpening a nicked edge..... also since this box uses no metal fasteners I feel that the metal pulls goes against the spirit of the design of this box with all it's intricate joinery .... since most of the details of the tool box have been well laid out ,I will put some more thought into the tray and it's removal ....
without the use of metal pulls .
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:41 pm

Your concerns are valid and I'm interested to see what you come up with in your design.

Return to “Project 1: The Tool Box”