Preliminaries - Milling

Chris Hall
Site Admin

Re: Preliminaries - Milling

Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:56 pm

Looks like that sawhorse is coming in handy already!
Jack_Ervin.

Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:02 pm

Chris Hall wrote:Looks like that sawhorse is coming in handy already!
Yes it is, I am doing all the cross cutting on it and some of the ripping. Then staging the parts on it. I ripped the wide boards vertically, held in the vise.
ya
yanai

Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:51 pm

The posts are multiplying so fast that I'm starting to find it hard to find information... some topics seems to bleed into one another a little and I'm often forgetting which topic had the information I'm looking for.

This is about the top. I guess I made the wrong conclusion that the top slid in and out from the front. I came to this realization when I began noticing the baton positions in some of the sketchup drawings, as well as the different spacings under the caps.

Does the top then slide to one side and then tip up or down for placement or removal? Is this topic discussed somewhere on this site? It gets a little hard for me to scan through 8+ pages for each topic to find a piece of information, so I was thinking it might be useful if there was a topic dedicated to the outline, basic design elements, and basic dimensions of the project to serve as a reference page. Keeping such an area clear of too many comments and individual examples would serve as an easy place to turn.

Thank you.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:01 pm

Does the top then slide to one side and then tip up or down for placement or removal?
Yes, it does. Don't you have any Japanese power tools in wooden boxes? I figured you were familiar with the sorts of boxes, but again, assumptions kill me all the time.

I'll give some thought to seeing if the topics and threads can be streamlined somehow. Thanks for the observation. I usually start a new topic thread for each distinct phase of the making process. I think the 'preliminaries: what goes in the box' is necessarily long as it involves a design discussion - and I am very much enjoying that process.
Jack_Ervin.

Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:50 pm

A little more progress today. I got out to my wood working buddies shop where I have my thickness planer stored and thickness planed all my boards.
Attachments
DSC01699.JPG
DSC01699.JPG (31.29 KiB) Viewed 9045 times
ya
yanai

Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:11 am

Chris Hall wrote:

Yes, it does. Don't you have any Japanese power tools in wooden boxes? I figured you were familiar with the sorts of boxes, but again, assumptions kill me all the time.
Absolutely, I've got Japanese boxes all over the place here. I think I saw one of the early sketchup renderings exploded with the top out in front and somehow got it in my head that it slid out there. Strange I know, but hey, I'm getting old... cut me some slack. haha...

mike
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:45 am

Should we refer to you as 'Old Man Mike'?
Ro
Rogu

Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:16 pm

Maybe Geriatric-san
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:27 pm

Oh I like that! It almost sounds like the name of a super hero.
ya
yanai

Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:28 pm

Rogu wrote:
Maybe Geriatric-san
My wife just refers to me as Mr. Oji-san. She's 15 years younger than me and often reminds me that if I'm not good to her she'll put me in a home when I get older... she can be pretty scary.

The woman has an eye too... her grandfather was a 宮大工 (miya-daiku).

Return to “Project 1: The Tool Box”