Makin' Trays

Paul Atzenweiler
Deshi

Re: Makin' Trays

Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:33 pm

Dennis just tell me how furniture is supposed to look and I will only build it that way from now on.
Brian
Deshi

Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:16 pm

Just layed out this morning and have been cutting some quad through wedged tenons. They will be cut flush as the top is a work surface.

Haven't decided if I will do contrasting wedges.
Paul Atzenweiler
Deshi

Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:28 pm

I hope you post pictures!!
De
Dennis

Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:22 pm

Paul, I generally know how furniture is supposed to look to me. For yourself, you can decide, but there are many many books where the author's intention is to help one develop a sense about it, lesser analysing the fine details than things like balance and proportion. Traditional work seems a good place to study, there being so many examples of great and lesser so . Designs may be period, but they still can have a lot to say. How one looks at things allows for an interesting discussion, and can make for a life long pursuit.

Personally, I've never been offended when people suggested ways of changing a design for the better to me, figuring that it is a deep complex subject where input might make for something helpful, and accepting or rejecting advice is my prerogative. I may not respect the advice, but I do the subject. Ultimately making the decision about it lies with what I want to do.
Paul Atzenweiler
Deshi

Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:19 pm

I like your furniture. I tend to forget that the way I speak sometimes doesn't translate into written word. I have been told I have a very dry sense of humor, and feel my last comment could be taken as "unpleasant" when it was not the intent. I should have my wife proof read my entries.
I have a tenonsy to type as I think - that was a woodworking pun.
De
Dennis

Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:49 pm

Thanks, and no problem, Paul, I wasn't sure, and I could see my ruminations striking as being a little pushy.

I recall a juried show in Northern California, for furniture, but one of the entries was a desk made by a boat builder, a very fine one that has a school himself. Quite nicely done, but on the underside of the desk he had left a bunch of pencil lines. The judges didn't like that, or at least one didn't, but when told that his desk could be accepted for the show if he simply spent a minute with an eraser, he had a major problem with the requirement, and ended up withdrawing from the event. I think that to a boat builder, pencil marks are of little concern, but for high end furniture being exhibited, I'd be hard pressed to decide if visible on the underside was a concern or not. Just to be safe, i erase them. Objective or subjective can be pretty confusing.
Last edited by Dennis on Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:05 am

You guys are a couple of wildcats, that's for sure.
Paul Atzenweiler
Deshi

Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:53 am

I am currently en route to Australia to buy Dennis a beer and to give him a hug.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:03 am

You'll be searching Australia for a good long while. Dennis lives in Japan.
De
Dennis

Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:26 am

How about Australian beer in Japan? 'Murray's Wild Thing' is supposed to be very good. Hugs are ok, but shake the sawdust off first.

Return to “Project 1: The Tool Box”