Makin' Trays

Chris Hall
Site Admin

Re: Makin' Trays

Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:04 pm

Paul, great work as usual! Hopefully those dry-fitted carcase dovetails will do their job over time.
Paul Atzenweiler
Deshi

Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:36 pm

The trays are finally being assembled. The trays are held together without glue by way of wedged tenons and dovetails. There are 3 tenons on each end from a center rail and 2 tenons from the drawer bottoms. The tenons on the drawer bottoms are closer to the center so most of the seasonal movement will be towards the outside of the trays where the grooves for the bottoms is deeper. The dovetails on the corners will not get glue because I believe the tenons will hold everything together. For the joints to fail, something pretty dramatic would have to happen. I did put a drop of glue on each of the wedges, although I think they would hold without it.
Attachments
tray 11.jpg
The tray pieces ready for assembly.
tray 11.jpg (211.66 KiB) Viewed 7489 times
tray 6.jpg
Assembled except for the end piece.
tray 6.jpg (154.24 KiB) Viewed 7489 times
tray 4.jpg
Each tenon gets 2 wedges.
tray 4.jpg (190.89 KiB) Viewed 7489 times
tray 5.jpg
The tenons wedged awaiting trimming.
tray 5.jpg (170.41 KiB) Viewed 7489 times
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:49 pm

I see the logic in your design.

It's interesting to walk the line with glue-less construction, deciding upon what you can trust seems to be half the battle. Some great looking work there Paul!
Paul Atzenweiler
Deshi

Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:55 pm

tray 7.jpg
The tray assembled and the dovetails trimmed flush with the sides/ends.
tray 7.jpg (200.5 KiB) Viewed 7488 times
I built 2 boxes with 2 trays each. I will post pictures after I have put on a finish. I will use tongue oil as a finish. You may notice holes and blemishes in several places. This is reclaimed barn wood and I left some of the old nail holes to reflect this.
Attachments
tray 8.jpg
All 4 trays assembled.
tray 8.jpg (194.95 KiB) Viewed 7488 times
tray 9.jpg
The trays stack and have interlocking sides to keep them from stacked when not in the box. The bottom of each tray overlaps the dividers in the bottom of the box to keep the trays in place.
tray 9.jpg (194.19 KiB) Viewed 7488 times
tray 12.jpg
Each box gets 2 trays that neatly stack inside with room left on each end.
tray 12.jpg (149.9 KiB) Viewed 7488 times
tray 10.jpg
Both boxes awaiting finish.
tray 10.jpg (119.25 KiB) Viewed 7488 times
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:07 pm

That's cool seeing that you made two boxes! Gotta love it.
Paul Atzenweiler
Deshi

Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:14 pm

If the joinery in these trays fail, I will not be too unhappy and will hopefully learn something if they do. I built these with material pared down as much as I dared. I knew if I used thick material I would not have to worry about them breaking but they would be overly clunky and heavy and not at all "elegant". Any observations and suggestions from members would be appreciated (it is almost impossible to offend me). I built 2 boxes because it's only slightly more effort than building 1 while you have the saws/routers set up.
john verge

Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:11 am

I used tongue oil on an eastern maple countertop and it wouldn't take. The wood continued to squeeze it out or bleed it out and i never achieved a nice finish. I used steel wool, very fine , to apply it as well as 400 grit paper. Eventually i stripped it and applied a waterbased hard finish, urethane i believe and it's okay now. The tongue oil i used was a natural oil from lee valley and it worked fine on the baltic birch ply drawer boxes. Be interested in hearing how you work your finish. Congratualations on that construction by the way, very impressive.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:20 am

I would also suggest trying the water-based urethane instead of Tung oil. All the Tung Oil products, pretty much, are just resin based wiping varnish with a little Tung Oil added. Real Tung Oil without metallic driers takes a week to dry between coats and does not build up to a durable film. Add the metallic driers and you can do a coat a day, but then there is the toxicity of the driers. Then there's the fire hazards from the rags, and the clean up of brushes using more solvents.

I'm really pleased with the Enviro-Var water based urethane so far. Very easy to apply, dries quickly and very hard. No VOC's. Can be tinted readily with aniline dye to darken the wood more if you want that. sands flat quickly and doesn't gum up the sandpaper. In a warm room you could easily do three coats per day. I mean, you'd be done in a day and half if you wanted. Then let it cure for 5~7 days and polish it out. I'm using micromesh for that.
Paul Atzenweiler
Deshi

Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:22 pm

For this project I am happy to wipe on the tung oil as I am working on something else in the shop and the saw dust doesn't affect the tung oil. I use water born finishes when I can and hopefully won't regret not using it on this project.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:16 pm

Well, okay. I will say though that I have not found dust nibs to me much of an issue at all with the Enduro Var. It dries so fast that the amount of settled dust which attaches to the surface is miniscule. Besides, then you scuff #320 between coats, so it's really a total non-issue.

After the micromesh, before waxing:
PB260005-small.JPG
PB260005-small.JPG (117.91 KiB) Viewed 7477 times

Return to “Project 1: The Tool Box”