Feeling inspired?

The place to discuss developed drawing study other than what is covered in the mailings.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Feeling inspired?

Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:15 am

One thing that stokes my fires a bit is finding pictures of Japanese study groups and their completed projects. This is a recent gathering of 20 people working on a roof model which combines hip roof, curved hip, fan and parallel rafters, and a splayed post stand:
a0322824_12071503.jpg
a0322824_12071503.jpg (129.21 KiB) Viewed 9030 times
a0322824_12132069.jpg
a0322824_12132069.jpg (122.15 KiB) Viewed 9030 times
That seems to be the standard study model these days for more advanced students.

While this material is a few levels above where the last mailing left off, it is really not so far away actually. We already have covered the splayed post work and regular straight hip, along with treatment of a skewed common rafter, which is the precursor to the fan rafter study. The next model planned was to be a second straight regular hip, where we can explore variations on the theme, with different joinery. From there, exploration can go in a couple of different directions. We could continue with regular plan hips and look at curving the hip. We could keep the hip straight and look at fan rafters. We could move into polygons, starting with polygon hopper, then polygon splayed post, then polygon hip. The latter is the direction I thought it would be best to go. After polygons, then irregular slope work, in a similar progression of problems, and finally curved work.

All of the above may be moot as the membership in the drawing study is perilously low at the moment, with but 2 members close to being current with the material. Still, I'm feeling inspired, and intend to continue the work at producing the drawing study material one way or another. It would be so cool if twenty people could get together outside of Japan and engage in the same study. It doesn't seem like an impossible dream....
durbien
Sweeper of Floors, Maker of Tea

Re: Feeling inspired?

Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:47 pm

So if one of the new forumites (like me) were to join the CSG now, would they have to complete all the previous projects in order to understand the latest project?
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:20 pm

So if one of the new forumites (like me) were to join the CSG now, would they have to complete all the previous projects in order to understand the latest project?
Yep. Generally in the earlier levels like the hopper and the splayed post project, I strive to explain concepts very thoroughly. Later on, I do not explain these concepts any more, and simply will state thinks like "on the face of the stick use the chōgen slope, and on the face use the chūkō slope", or, "now we know from previous study that the lap seat employs the half slope, we can lay that out...". If you weren't clear on concepts like that you would probably have a difficult time executing the projects, and I am not willing to take a bunch of time to re-explain those things.

Similarly, the next roof model will employ a number of concepts introduced in detail in the first hip roof model, and I will not be taking dozens of pages to go over those concepts again. The drawing study material is arranged, largely by necessity, in a logical progression, moving from simple to increasingly complex.
Yxoc

Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:05 pm

Durbien,
I'll concur with Chris that it would indeed be very heavy going trying to execute the most recent project without first having laid the foundation in earlier projects. Also, some of the concepts really benefit from reinforcement born of repetition.

Having said that, the jointed hopper and the sawhorse are really good projects and stand alone as useful items - the jointed hopper would make a unique fruit bowl and the sawhorse is very useful if made from hardwood of decent dimensions.

Regards

Derek
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:14 pm

The applications for the basic techniques are truly vast.
Marc
Raw Log Import

Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:08 am

I would like to share a recent find. The video shows a japanese apprentice (?) building together a hip roof model.
Maybe it is a kind of competition (?) or it is what we call "Gesellenprüfung" in Germany (journeyman's examination), a final test prior to the end of the apprenticeship.
Enjoy! ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZ1aro0Aycs
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:11 am

'建築技能競技大会' means:

建築: construction

技能: technique/skill

競技: competition

大会: meet/tournament

This meet does not necessarily correspond to the end of apprenticeship in Japan - notice that the fellow being filmed is in his 30's. There are meets where lower level techniques are tested, and those might more typically be ones attended by recent graduates of a technical school program.
Paul Atzenweiler
Deshi

Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:56 pm

So how does one get caught up? I went to the roof model 1 and the links were unavailable.
durbien
Sweeper of Floors, Maker of Tea

Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:57 am

Marc wrote:I would like to share a recent find. The video shows a japanese apprentice (?) building together a hip roof model.
Maybe it is a kind of competition (?) or it is what we call "Gesellenprüfung" in Germany (journeyman's examination), a final test prior to the end of the apprenticeship.
Enjoy! ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZ1aro0Aycs
Seems like a lot of drilling and screwing and toenailing. I thought all Japanese carpenters were monks and the projects were held together with fairy dust and molecular attraction. :P

Return to “General Discussion”