Spot the mistake

The place to discuss developed drawing study other than what is covered in the mailings.
Chris Pyle
Deshi

Re: Spot the mistake

Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:01 am

Chris Hall wrote:Were you aware that there is a brand new Rhino for Mac that has nearly all the functionality of the Windows version? I just received the heads-up on that about a month back, and downloaded the pre-release version. Of course, I can't actually install it yet...
I only saw it last night after you mentioned it. When I looked at their purchasing options, they had various additional packaged software that offer different modeling capabilities but they weren't listed for the mac. I'm assuming Rhino would still do everything I'd ever need since I don't need realistic images with high tech shaders/shadows.
Mathieu
Triple 2
Triple 2

Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:51 am

I am running a macbook pro from 2010 and it is as fast as when it was new. I have upgraded the harddrive to an ssd and doubled the RAM which was worth the effort and investment. OS 10.10.3 is not a problem. Never had any issues upgrading and I can run Rhino, Cad, sketch up etc.
I am not sure how many more OS upgrades I would like to do but if the software allows it I hope to get another five years of use out this laptop.
It might be worth exploring your option again. If your system is only 3 years old you should be able to squeeze more out of it I hope. If that is going to become the lifespan of a usable computer I might just go back to a drawing board.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:40 am

Maybe I'll try the upgrade then if it worked for you. It seemed not worth the risk, but it would be cheaper to try that than buy a new computer.
Mathieu
Triple 2
Triple 2

Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:40 am

I hope things will turn out well with your computer otherwise I am going to feel guilty about setting you on a wrong track.
Jack_Ervin.

Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:02 am

A friend has a first gen Mac mini that he has 10.10.3 on and is not experiencing any ill affects. What was reported to you that might be a problem with the upgrade?
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:50 pm

Well,

I went back to the Mac app store to download OSX Yosemite again. this time there were some newer reviews and people were saying they had no problem - even folks who otherwise self-described as 'paranoid' in regards to downloading, and I thought 'what the heck'.

Download and install now complete, so far my browser is working and everything looks as it should.

Now onto SU and Rhino to see what is what...
Yxoc

Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:43 pm

I checked out the blog and that is an impressive project - a lot of $ in wood going in to that one. They're so lucky to have a culture that will still put up the money to invest in something like that. Even the protective metal structure looks to be higher quality than what is typically built in this country.

Derek
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:57 pm

Mathieu wrote:I can run Rhino, Cad, sketch up etc.
How are you finding Rhino?
Mathieu
Triple 2
Triple 2

Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:21 pm

Rhino is great. I like it since everything is command based as in autocad.I am used working with commands and shortcuts and it just feels kinda similar to AC
I have only been playing around with it and have not taken the time to learn it well so I can work fast in 3d. I still tend to go to autocad for most of the things I draw. I can clearly see that the program is very powerful especially when it comes down to curved surfaces. As an architectural tool I think there are better options out there.

When I make drawings to figure out carpentry layout I find that 2d works best for me since it relates closely to the piece it's surface. 3d is helpful to figure out what might or might not work but isn't a requirement. Lately I have actually pulled out my old Rotring set again and enjoy making the occasional drawing on paper. Just for the fun of it. My choice regarding drawing methods or software is often dictated by what I enjoy most.
Mathieu
Triple 2
Triple 2

Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:47 pm

Looking into the subject a little deeper it seems to be rather common practice according to a daiku friend of mine. So far I have not found examples of it described in manuals. Here is a screenshot from some footage where the endgrain is being planed with kiwa ganna showing the tenon as described above.
I am sorry for the low quality of the shot.
clip.tiff
clip.tiff (622.15 KiB) Viewed 5511 times
Really need to try this variation..

Return to “General Discussion”