WE'RE BACK!

For the discussion of matters not relevant to Study Group mailings. idle chit chat, rants and raves - whatever is on your mind or care to share about.
John Whitley
Deshi

WE'RE BACK!

Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:46 pm

The forum has a new domain: craftsmanshipinwood.org. Old external links will correctly redirect to right page on the new site.

There was discussion of migrating to different forum software, but that became too much to tackle with the server-switch deadline looming, so this is a full-rehosting of the existing phpBB site. Everything should be here just as it was. If you run into any problems, please report them in this thread and I'll look into them.

Known issues:
  • The login pages aren't force-redirecting to https yet. Your web browser will complain because of this. The site is correctly configured for https, but some phpBB configuration likely needs tweaking to get correct behavior.
  • A first-pass of automated backups have been enabled; I may revisit how backups are handled and stored.
Brian
Deshi

Re: WE'RE BACK!

Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:10 am

Thanks John! Everything seems to be working normally for me.
djwong
Deshi

Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:52 pm

Excellent!

John and Brian, thanks for all you work in making this happen.
Are there hosting costs we should talk about sharing?

David
John Whitley
Deshi

Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:16 pm

Updates:
  • Site email is now properly configured, meaning password recovery should work.
  • The site redirects to https for all pages. So far, this appears to work fine. Let me know if you see any problems that might be related, esp. things like images not loading correctly.
There are reports of some users having problems logging in with their original credentials. I'm hoping the above changes and some other behind the scenes fixes will either remedy those problems, or at least allow them to follow the password recovery steps.

If you continue to have forum problems, please email me directly at:

admin@craftsmanshipinwood.org
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:02 pm

Great work John! Glad to see this site still up and running. :D
John Whitley
Deshi

Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:34 pm

One last note on the site move; there was a problem with the forum’s password reset function which I fixed earlier today. If you had problems previously, please try again.

This was due to a ridiculous coding decision in phpBB that made the comparison of the user’s email to what was stored in the database fail because the forum moved from a 32-bit host to a 64-bit host. :facepalm:
nyamo_iaint
Raw Log Import

Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:12 am

John Whitley wrote:
One last note on the site move; there was a problem with the forum’s password reset function which I fixed earlier today. If you had problems previously, please try again.
You've also managed to fix the problem I was having where it wasn't remembering my credentials. Now it does, and I don't have to have the session key in the URL. My bookmark to unread posts works again!

John Whitley wrote:
This was due to a ridiculous coding decision in phpBB that made the comparison of the user’s email to what was stored in the database fail because the forum moved from a 32-bit host to a 64-bit host. :facepalm:
I'm struggling to even think how they could have done that. Actually, I can probably think of too many ways, all in the name of "speed" where it isn't really needed.

Iain
Matt J
Hopper I
Hopper I

Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:47 pm

Thank you John and Brian!

I too would be happy to chip in if a hat were passed around to cover the costs of keeping this place going.
Chris Pyle
Deshi

Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:12 am

N/M, I just found what I was looking for.

Thanks to everyone who helped keep this running, I'm also happy to chip in.

Return to “Miscellaneous Ramblings (Off Topic)”