Video work

For the discussion of matters not relevant to Study Group mailings. idle chit chat, rants and raves - whatever is on your mind or care to share about.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Video work

Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:32 pm

I've taken some tentative steps with getting some material down on video. Got the video camera from a relative, and out to the shop yesterday. I read the instructions, set the thing up, then went to record and 'no tape'. :oops:

Well I'll pick up a tape tomorrow and a tripod and have another go.

Everyone is a newbie at something!
charlie
Sweeper of Floors, Maker of Tea

Re: Video work

Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:59 pm

"perseverance furthers"
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:27 pm

And persevere I will...
ya
yanai

Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:06 am

Chris Hall wrote:And persevere I will...
word.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:20 pm

Well, the learning curve remains near-vertical for video work. I did a minor amount of taping yesterday as a 'test', and then had headaches with the sound. Finally resolved those late last night, and then went to the shop today and videotaped about an hour of material. That took 5 hours!

Got home and downloaded the material from the camera. Well, hmm. It seems like half of my head is cut off in a large portion of the tape, but more importantly the sound quality just isn't very good. In order to see what is happening, the camera has to be far enough back to take in the scene, however at that distance the sound recording just doesn't cut it - sounds tinny. Also, the lighting could be better, and occasionally in the middle of taping an air compressor upstairs kicks in and well, you can hear it on tape. I would go and pick up a microphone to wear, but the JVC videocam we own lacks a microphone port. So, it looks like we'll have to get a new camera. A newer camera would not have the hassle of the video tape inside at least, and presumably a longer recording time.

Unfortunately, today's videotaping was concerning the mortise and tenon layout for the carcase boards, which is now complete. I would need to videotape it again, but the boards are marked out :roll:

There's a lot to this and I haven't even started to tackle the editing part yet. So, I'll keep working at it and it will happen in time. I'm sure I'll do it wrong a whole bunch of times before it starts coming out acceptably. I'll try and spare all of you the early attempts.

~Chris
Mathieu
Triple 2
Triple 2

Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:22 pm

Editing is going to be the fun part. Maybe you can add some slow motion replays while doing wicked paring moves and explosion effects in the background while pulling micro shavings.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:35 pm

So you do have a sense of humor!

I'll do my best - any special costumes I should consider?
Mathieu
Triple 2
Triple 2

Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:53 pm

Darth Vader, no doubt!
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:19 pm

I've been working on my deep breathing and sinister glares, though I'm finding it hard to put the two together at the same time.

Return to “Miscellaneous Ramblings (Off Topic)”