Tenshin-en Gate at the MFA

For the discussion of matters not relevant to Study Group mailings. idle chit chat, rants and raves - whatever is on your mind or care to share about.
Paul Atzenweiler
Deshi

Re: Tenshin-en Gate at the MFA

Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:20 pm

It would seem people who seek to be on committees are not necessarily the most qualified. I know this example may not be "exactly fitting", but people on animal shelter committees have rarely done field work so they want to waive their hands and say "make it so" don't really know the logistics involved. While they are well meaning that doesn't mean it will happen.
I hope the people involved with decision making on this gate job will defer to the actual construction experts in regards to appearance and structure. When you choose the right craftsmen it plays happily on your reputation. I am happy and jealous of current project.
I bet when the wood arrives you will spend time just looking at the stack - hesitating cutting into it.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:28 am

My thoughts often return to Joseph Tainter's work The Collapse of Complex Societies, where he points out that when a society confronts a "problem," such as a shortage of energy, or difficulty in gaining access to it, it tends to create new layers of bureaucracy, infrastructure or social class to address the challenge. It does this because these solutions have worked in the past, so more of the same must be good. However, like the law of diminishing returns, continued inputs, after a while, lead to decreased results, and then even net-negative results. However, patterns are awfully hard to break. bureaucracy, once entrenched, becomes akin to a tick fattening itself on the host, all the while thinking to itself that it benefits the host.

As a general rule, I hate committees and group-think of any sort - one of the reasons I choose to be self-employed. Can't stand office politics and intrigues.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:07 pm

Had another meeting with MFA personnel a few days ago and learned they were open to having a 'mini-roof' over the gate. I've started some preliminary drawing work on the gate and concluded a bigger roof is better than a mini-roof, and made another case to them over an extended call over the phone about making the gate a bit more 'roofy'. I also shared a picture of a kabukimon which has had a gable roof fitted as a later 'enhancement':
冠木門 with later added roof.jpg
冠木門 with later added roof.jpg (288.57 KiB) Viewed 4027 times
It's in rough shape. I think it looks pretty good, in overall mass and arrangement is a winner, but the whole thing could be done more cleanly of course.

I am currently waiting to hear what the MFA decision is going to be, whether they'll see my point or not, and should know tomorrow. Fingers are crossed. Even if they decide against my larger roof proposal, then I will know, at least, that I tried my best to convince them in that direction. I can relax a bit as well in that the 'fall back' position if they don't like the full roof is one in which will involve using mini-roofs and enhanced flashing. Definitely are more weatherproof than a gate without them. Here's an example:
i=http%3A%2F%2Fpds2.exblog.jp%2Fpds%2F1%2F201201%2F07%2F04%2Fe0245404_1112591.jpg
i=http%3A%2F%2Fpds2.exblog.jp%2Fpds%2F1%2F201201%2F07%2F04%2Fe0245404_1112591.jpg (40.05 KiB) Viewed 4027 times
As you can see, there are cross-wise mini-roofs over the back posts and ties. The protruding posts are completely shingled with copper, and integrated with the rest of the copper shingled roof, so the weatherproof-ness should be good for a long time. The main posts are mounted clear of the ground on granite plinths, not buried into the ground some distance.

I've realized that covering both the main beam and rear support structures, door tops, etc., with mini roofs is presenting a more cluttered appearance than if a larger single roof over all the parts were used. It is normal for these kabukimon forms to be covered with extensive flashing, mini roofs, and so forth, in an effort to make them last longer in the weather and hold together for a bunch of years. The mini roofs provide protection, but on the marginal side.

Question is, given that adding all the roofs is something which adds durability, and the more of that the better in general I would say, then designing from the get-go with that idea in mind, well, it might lead one to a slightly different design conclusion about what will work best and look the best.. That's where the full roof idea comes into play.
Yxoc

Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:55 am

Those mini-roofs do look like a bit of an add-on, and untidy. If I was unkind I would say it's almost a bit of a clothes-horse look. The proper roof is orders of magnitude better aesthetically to my eye, to say nothing of the improvement in longevity.

Anyway Chris, sounds like maybe some positive development in the potential scope of the project?

Wishing all the best and hope the meeting goes well. If you articulate yourself as well in person as you do with the written word, then at the very least the board will not doubt your authority on the matter. They will know that your recommendations are earnest.

Regards

Derek
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:12 am

oh, I'm earnest all right, when it comes to stuff like this :oops:

I received a reply this morning from the MFA- they will entertain my idea for the full roof, providing I can keep within a specified budget. So, the challenge is to see whether I can come up with something that will satisfy those requirements. There is, it would appear, an opening! Obviously, the numbers have to work as well.

~C
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:31 pm

After several days of work on drawing the new gate, and then writing a new project proposal spanning 11 pages or so, I submitted my proposal to the MFA today. I am more than a little anxious to learn their decision, and made the proposal without 100% knowing all the costs down to the penny. A little guesswork involved, if you know what I mean. I worked through the design issues in light of the project goals, and settled on one form of gate which met the bill most closely.

Here are a few views of the gate I designed:
Tenshin En Gate proposal (persp. b).jpg
Tenshin En Gate proposal (persp. b).jpg (253.93 KiB) Viewed 4013 times
The minoko, or roll down on the eave edge, is somewhat approximate due to shortcominsg with the rendering engine in SketchUp (have I mentioned this issue before elsewhere? :lol: ). I spent about 7 hours of drawing time just drawing one gable side's minoko, which was then copied into the two sides and two gable ends where it is found.
Tenshin En Gate Proposal (fr. elev.).jpg
Tenshin En Gate Proposal (fr. elev.).jpg (338.38 KiB) Viewed 4013 times
I didn't take the time to render the copper roof shingles accurately - there is a balance point in there somewhere when it comes to deciding how much time to put into a concept sketch. I'm sure I spend more time on the concept sketch than many would, but I wanted an accurate representation of what I was proposing. Short of detailing the joinery, I was able to provide an accurate and detailed sketch for about 2.5 day's time investment.
Tenshin En Gate proposal (side elev. b).jpg
Tenshin En Gate proposal (side elev. b).jpg (97.54 KiB) Viewed 4013 times
The gate style which works the best here is the yakuimon, or 'physician's gate. The core structure I chose to use, slightly not standard for this gate type, is virtually identical to the kabukimon pattern, with an off-center roof providing equal eave coverage front and rear and a reduction in the overall 'monumentality' of the roof. What do you think? Is the design a good one?

I'm really hoping they go for this - I put all my eggs in that basket. There are other gate options of course, but this one was the most ideal and hopefully is not too elaborate for them. We'll see what happens.
Matt J
Hopper I
Hopper I

Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:19 pm

Chris,

I think the design is excellent. While it would be sweet to see a more elaborate form, I think this would suit the location nicely. It pays homage to the existing gate without repeating its shortcomings, and should not offend the more conservative folks at the mfa.

One question about the panels flanking the gate- are they different to illustrate two options for construction, or is there something else going on there?

-Matt
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:32 am

One question about the panels flanking the gate- are they different to illustrate two options for construction, or is there something else going on there?
Good eye. Yes, they are different. Looking at the front elevation, the side on the left is a board-paneled wall, while the side on the right is a small doorway. The doorway allows a MFA staffer to enter the garden and access the draw bar on the back of the two main doors so they can be opened for pedestrian traffic. Normally the side door is kept closed, so I kept it closed in the drawing.

I appreciate your observations about the design. I did everything I could to tone things down and reduce the 'monumentality' of the structure. A typical yakuimon would have a main roof with a 6.5~7 in 10 slope, whereas the one I drew uses a 4.5/10. The different in slope between the decorative exposed roof underneath and the main roof is only 1 in 10, which makes for a small minoko. Again, tying to flatten and tone down the look. There are no carved timbers, no gable end beam coverings (gegyo), no window openings in the doors, less flashy hardware, etc., etc. If the project is approved in the next meeting, then I do intend to give the gable end barge boards a lower edge treatment and will probably add a subtle curve up to the ends of the eave at the gable end. Just a touch more 'curvy-ness' and detail. No point spending extra hours rendering that on the drawing at this stage. There's also an accessory structure involved in this project proposal, a roofed kiosk holding a wooden information sign about the garden. I will be re-doing it's foundation and repairing the rotted posts. Again, something not illustrated above.

Now I will wait and see if I have found the right mix design-wise to suit the MFA, at least those who will be making the decision.

~C
charlie
Sweeper of Floors, Maker of Tea

Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:48 am

Nicely done, Chris. Hope you get to have the fun of detailing and building it.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:20 pm

Well, thanks Charlie. Worst case scenario here is: even if they say 'no' to my design, the project moves forward with building a gate, one with mini-roofs on the parts in all likelihood (seems to be the fallback position). Though not as good an execution as the fully-roofed gate, in my view, the mini-roofs will provide an improvement over the original in terms of keeping the weather off, and will allow for some peace of mind at least at my end. If that's what happens, then I would have a small regret of not getting to build a clean traditional gate pattern, and regret that the wood is being placed by my hands into a situation where it might last 50 years at best, but what can you do? Builders do not often get the chance to build without some limitations in place.

I have a good feeling though about the process, both so far and looking ahead, and know I have done my utmost to bring the MFA around to see the benefits of the roofed gate over the form (and service performance) of the predecessor.

Return to “Miscellaneous Ramblings (Off Topic)”