水車 Suisha / Water Wheel

For the discussion of matters not relevant to Study Group mailings. idle chit chat, rants and raves - whatever is on your mind or care to share about.
Charles
Lurker

水車 Suisha / Water Wheel

Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:55 pm

Yamamoto san
Met him at a tool shop here in town ,after talking for a bit , he invited me out to his place .
An amazing man in his late 80's ,he built most of the homes in his small town .
This water wheel was something he recently built to keep busy ...... had a great time and look forward to meeting him again , smiling he insisted he would not be around much longer ... On parting he gave me a couple of hand planes and said " Daiji ni shite kudasai"

Mathieu
Triple 2
Triple 2

Re: 水車 Suisha / Water Wheel

Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:52 pm

On Sunday a french Compagnon was passing by to visit me and we decided to go buy some spelt flower at a mill close by. we where both interested in having a look at the carpentry work and the wooden mechanics. Not a water mill this one but it is wind which powers the mechanism, nonetheless interesting. Here are some pics.
IMG_1752.jpg
IMG_1752.jpg (179.32 KiB) Viewed 2363 times
IMG_1729.jpg
IMG_1729.jpg (193.96 KiB) Viewed 2363 times
The wheel itself was made of Elm the 'teeth' of Black Locust protruding through the wheel and wedged from behind. Easy to replace in case they wear out.
The rods in where the teeth grip into where made of Hornbeam, a lot of beeswax is applied to keep everything rolling smoothly. I am sorry but I don't know the right English terminology I hope you guys understand what I mean.

Since it was a reconstruction the main axle was made of iron which ran in a 'belgian blue stone' with a lot of animal grease to keep things running smoothly. There was only one block of Lignum Vitae which secured the axle that powers the stone. It was a removable block put into place after it was shifted into its gear.
john verge

Re: 水車 Suisha / Water Wheel

Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:32 am

Never took the time to view these posts before. Wow, what a tremendously interesting couple of experiences you both had! And thanks for sharing them, it means a lot.

Return to “Miscellaneous Ramblings (Off Topic)”