Happy 2015!!

For the discussion of matters not relevant to Study Group mailings. idle chit chat, rants and raves - whatever is on your mind or care to share about.
jury
Raw Log Import

Re: Happy 2015!!

Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:08 pm

Happy new year everybody.
My goal this year is,finally do some daily woodworking and join the study group again and make some projects.
The last few years have been filled with not so good things[father in law diagnosed with cancer,losing my job as a carpenter ,and the worst of all,my daughter having Anorexia].
As you understand my mind wasn't set to woodworking these years.
Thankfully my father in law has recovered magically,and my daughter is feeling good at the moment.[seeing my daughter happy again is the greatest gift ever].
I hope this wasn't to dramatic for this forum ,but i had to share this.
J.T.
Raw Log Import

Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:11 pm

Hello.
Just getting started woodworking. Happy New Year! I just need to get my health back first then jump into the study group. Just hoping for a loving family and good laughs! Everything else will fall into place. Hope to get to know everyone hear better.
J.T.
Paul Atzenweiler
Deshi

Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:12 pm

Yikes, Jury! You need a bigger plate to heap more crap onto.
My goal is to get rid of some of the tools I am hoarding!!! I have many that are not trash but I don't/will never use. Matt J I have some kanna blades that need TLC and too many for me to use. I would be happy to send you one if you like. I will send you some pics of the ones I don't need. I also have too many chisels, non of which are bad but non that great either. I think I need to take a page from Sabastian's book of getting rid of things!!
Matt J
Hopper I
Hopper I

Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:57 pm

Jury- Glad to hear that things are looking up.

J.T.- Welcome! I think woodworking is good for both mind and body, so you're on the right track.

Paul- Bring it on! I'm happy to help with others' hoarding problems by worsening my own. I'm also happy to reciprocate in some appropriate way...
Sebastian Gonzalez
Sweeper of Floors, Maker of Tea

Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:01 pm

Hey Brian, I got a nice electra casa a leva in case you are into handmade espresso. I could also sharpen your saws for a few euros more.

My plans for this year are fixing my dad's house and setting up the first japanese tools workshop in Chile. I need first to move all the bags three countries to the airport tho. I will be living in the hills of santiago and we have a big garden not very well taken care of (my dad lives alone and is kinda old). I think the first woodworking task will be make some fences. House-wise I need to change a parket floor, make new wooden windows and insulate the house. It's a small house thanks god. Did I say I need to furnish the house too? And maybe remake the kitchen to make wife happy. And a clay oven for pizza.

I also want to set up a small forge and we need to repair the 50 years old swimming pool that's leaking from the bottom. It's gonna be a busy year(s).

Paul, tools don't count as things. Or at least I told myself that when I ordered the last 5 kanna this month. ("I can always leave the dai here in Europe and take just the blade..." I add in case I feel stupid.)
Brian
Deshi

Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:14 am

Hope you don't mind a long commute :D

Take pictures as you build, would love to see the progress.
Paul Atzenweiler
Deshi

Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:45 am

Matt J, I will sort through the plane blades and chisels and post the pictures and let you choose what you want. Even though I love puttering with sharpening and adjusting, I need to concentrate on a smaller number of tools and work on actual projects. My tools have a tendency to become the project.
Sebastian Gonzalez
Sweeper of Floors, Maker of Tea

Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:35 pm

Brian wrote:Hope you don't mind a long commute :D

Take pictures as you build, would love to see the progress.
I share a picture that's making me seriously considering leave snowy Graz 6 months earlier. (I think this is the first winter I am stuck here in europe in the last 6 years.)
2014-12-28 (2).jpg
You can see the use of natural materials in Chile: stones and red and green plastic. The swimming pool was build by my grandfather 60 years ago or so. Last year we changed the filter and painted, but keeps on leaking from the outlet.

If anyone wants to skip winter and lend me a hand or two next year, is more than welcome. Skill is a scarce commodity in Chile.
Paul Atzenweiler
Deshi

Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:22 pm

. . . me . . . want . . . go . . . there . . .
Brian
Deshi

Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:41 pm

Gorgeous! Amazing that the pool is 60 years old, it's well kept.

Return to “Miscellaneous Ramblings (Off Topic)”