Walnut Catastrophe

For the discussion of matters not relevant to Study Group mailings. idle chit chat, rants and raves - whatever is on your mind or care to share about.
RLSIII
Raw Log Import

Walnut Catastrophe

Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:16 pm

Disappointment caps the coldest February I can remember here in Pennsylvania. I was awoke on the 28th by a phone call urging me to get to the shop post haste.
As I arrived I immediately noticed an ice flow trailing from the overhead door and down the drive. I was then greeted by this.
201502269507155795-95Copy.jpg
201502269507155795-95Copy.jpg (207.05 KiB) Viewed 3098 times
That my friends is a Lincoln MKX encased in ice and subsequently frozen to the floor.
I entered the Building with a squish and immediately headed down stairs to asses the damage to our interim shop space; some 1900 sqft of previously empty basement, as well as, a single garage space adjacent the Lincoln taken up almost entirely by an industrial rack loaded with lumber and our large tools.
It seems a toilet feed line burst flooding seemingly everything I cared about.
The basement was a disaster.

100s of board feet of thirty year old Black walnut cut from the same tree in 8/4 and 4/4 thickness
several 7-10w" x4thick" x 8' long 10/4 walnut glueups
an especially fine 6' stick of 16/4 walnut 9' wide
scores of bdft of spaulted maple
a walnut Roubo frame
300bdft of prime Pennsylvania cherry cut from a tree that was growing before the revolutionary war
an abundance of 16/4 redwood
my first all joinery table
and $8700 worth of tools
all saturated... fortunately I am fully insured against such losses and will recoup adequate reparations for the losses incurred.

Forgot to take a picture of the lumber rack in the garage it looked much like the Lincoln.

bad news: that wood wont be dry enough to use for a long time. With the commercial drying equipment I had to use to mitigate the loss, accelerated moisture exchange likely caused bad things to happen i.e. twist, ect. and probably fouled any incomplete joinery anyway. The roubo stretcher tenons are certainly not agreeing with their mortises anymore.
good news: I get to go shopping for lumber and tools. possibly a follow up post if its of any interest ( open to suggestions for single phase 220 table and bandsaws)

Here's to a early Spring,
Rob Shearer
Attachments
Walnut95Roubo.jpg
Walnut95Roubo.jpg (164.89 KiB) Viewed 3098 times
Walnut.jpg
Walnut.jpg (175.11 KiB) Viewed 3098 times
Evans
Raw Log Import

Re: Walnut Catastrophe

Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:34 am

:o What a pain, as my dear wife says, "in the patookies."
As you note, there are some compensations, but I'm sorry you have to go through such annoyance.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:57 am

Jeepers, sorry to hear of your troubles :shock:

Amazing what a leak in a toilet supply pipe can do. I'm glad to hear that you had insurance coverage for your losses, at least for those items which are simply replaced.

I know of a brand new NOS Rockwell cabinet saw in East Hartford CT which could be had for $300~400, if that is of any help.
RLSIII
Raw Log Import

Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:17 am

thank you much it was upsetting to say the least.

Chris pm sent.

Rob Shearer
Paul Atzenweiler
Deshi

Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:33 pm

Ugh! I think I just threw up a little!!
RLSIII
Raw Log Import

Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:32 pm

Met with the insurance adjuster today. tools are covered no problem but it seems that materials are listed on a rider of the policy listed as installation so if there not for a specific project, within a "reasonable" amount of time prior to the install, or on site they are not covered. it is a travesty for my projects and operation, small yes but mine. I will find a way to get by.

If you are insured then I urge you to make a call to your agent and make sure you have replacement coverage not actual cash value and that your materials are included regardless of there whereabouts. expensive lesson.

Rob S

Return to “Miscellaneous Ramblings (Off Topic)”