YEDDO the Japanese house in Australia

For the discussion of matters not relevant to Study Group mailings. idle chit chat, rants and raves - whatever is on your mind or care to share about.
Rob
Lurker

YEDDO the Japanese house in Australia

Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:25 am

Thought this might be of interest.
http://japanesehouse.com.au/
I've known about this house for some time now and being located 1465 km (910 miles) to the north of where I live, jumping in the car and going for a drive was not a real option especially not knowing who the owners were or their contact details.
A few years ago an event came about, which provide the opportunity for me to visit the house and meet the owners. At this time the first stage of the restoration had just been completed, unfortunately the carpenters employed for the project had just returned home to Kyoto.
There is still a long way to go to finish the project, so I may get another opportunity to meet the daiku.
It’s amazing what one finds in their own backyard, even if it is 1500km away!!
Yxoc

Re: YEDDO the Japanese house in Australia

Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:28 pm

Now that I have discovered the 'View unread posts' link, I've found a treasure trove of stuff I've missed. How did this one slip through?

Still not very close to me but definitely one to keep in mind if I travel to Queensland in the future.
nyamo_iaint
Raw Log Import

Re: YEDDO the Japanese house in Australia

Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:54 pm

Yeah. I read almost everything using view unread posts.

I still have quite a substantial backlog from before I joined though. Some of Chris's expositions on the joinery group projects get a bit heavy for a novice like me.

I think I'd like to go there one day. Only 1465 kms... Google maps claims 2,172 km for me, which is quite a drive.

Better than from where I used to live in Hobart -- 3,443 km with "This route includes a ferry". Yes, yes it does.

Iain

Return to “Miscellaneous Ramblings (Off Topic)”